Daylight saving time, thoughts?

That must be so complex and confusing, especially if trying to do business or communicate beween them all.

France is much simpler, we just have the time in paris.

Except where i lived before in the Charente-Maritime that was 15 mins behind paris, you organise something for 20h00 and you know that no one will arrive before 20h15, except trains or cinema. So calculations were always made to include the Charente hour !. Local joke.

3 Likes

Not really. Some remote parts are so distant they are like a different country.
It is quite common for an election to be decided before WA finishes voting.

1 Like

The worst thing about daylight saving in summer and the vast East / West distances across Australia… Is catching a redeye special flight from Perth to Melbourne or Sydney in summer…

Jump on the plane 11 pm or midnight…

Spend 4 hours in the air… don’t get much or any sleep 'cause of “cattle class” seating…

Arrive at the crack of dawn…

Lose a whole night’s sleep…

Haven’t done that for years now (7-8?) - thankfully… reckon I’m too old for that stuff these days…

Last time I flew to Melbourne was August after my sister passed away… I flew out about 9 am, got into Melbourne abt 3:30 pm…

3 Likes

I think it is a question of perspective… I think what we have in the summer (US, Eastern Time Zone) is normal, and then when winter comes we switch to Daylight WASTING time…

ex-Gooserider

3 Likes

Yes prefer summer time to winter, worse in the uk when its dark at 16h00, and light at 8h30 prefer lighter at night

They can fix that by making time zone a continuum instead of setting arbitrary zones.

2 Likes

Imagine trying to get everyone’s agreement on time. Originally we had Greenwich meant time and everything was based on that ???

2 Likes

Any zone or timeline agreement is fake.
The reality is time-of-day varies continuously with location… both latitude and longitude affect it.
We can learn to live with that… the clock shifts as you move… no problem for todays computers.

If you want to synchronize time with someone else then you either have to be at the same location, or use a formula… not nearly as complicated as looking up timezones, just a formula. All those tables of timezones that you load every time you install a distro would be redundant.

There is a distinct lack of imagination in timekeeping.

1 Like

In 1752 the uk changed from the julian calendar to the gregorian calendar and we lost 11 days.

Imaging if the decision was made that all the world used GMT (or one standard) can you imagine you go to bed in auz at 08h00 and get up at 16h00 as thats when its dark for you then you work through midnight as that your mid day etc…

Ok silly idea but only because we believe mid day is high sun and mid night is dark, but in the end they are just words.

In 1752 there was uproar throughout as the government had stollen 11 days ! Do the same with time.

Add to this the lunar calendar which is 13 months and 29 days…

That is synchronized time.
Time-of-day is position of fhe sundial shadow at a location.
What the timezones try to do is a compromise between synchronised time and time-of-day
I say it is a very confusing compromise and we should abandon it and use instead time-of-day + location, which, fed into a computer, would tell us time-of-day at any other location, including perhaps some standard location such as Greenwich.

Politicians have this infuriating tendency to want to divide something that is continuous into cutoff zones. They do it for example with tax rates according to income. It is bad maths, or lack of maths, and it makes life artificially complicated.

We need to educate them to stop using step functions when a continuous function better represents reality.

1 Like

Educate politicians… now I know you like a challenge… or are you joking !

1 Like

Like a challenge. Not joking.
Vote for a politician with brains (if you can find one), they all have tongues.

2 Likes

When living in the uk, i met my local councillor, he organised a walk around the area we lived in, during that he took notes, asked questions of the walkers, and made suggestions. Then went back to the council meetings and started making demands on other members to get our area improved. He worked like a trojan for the area he represented. He ran for central government but sadly fail to get in despite many voting for him.

In our residence our receptionist is also on our local council, so a representative of not just our village but our group of naturist residential properties. She is deputy mayor, thanks to her work we have concerts every summer, a new bridge to the island, a sports area, new street lights, funding for events… she works very hard to put our area on the discussions if there is a possibility of us getting something.

Which political party ?
I dont care i want someone who listens and then acts for residents

1 Like

This idea that you need a hard working representative to get a fair share of the cake is strange.
Is it not possible to share public funds around properly without lobbying?
I think my ideal politician is an ideas person and a problem solver… leadership in what we do together, not pandering to lobby groups.

I got into trouble years ago with that point of view as a Union Rep. People wanted me to lobby for a particular political move. I resisted. Some people seem to see a representative as a puppet.

1 Like

Politics and tactical voting plus lobbying for gain is wrong.

We have a ruling committee our village and you only get in if you face fits or you are big pals with the president vey incestuous too many chiefs and not enough indians