Deja-Dup dupliciity - Unable to Restore backups

Due to sudden power failure, /Home folder along with its approx 60 GB content disappeared totally from my Ubuntu 20.04.2 device. Luckily, I have the Deja-Dup duplicity backup of (both full and incremental files of the period from 15 - 19 July '21) the lost content, stored in the 3rd partition of an external usb-HDD, labelled “Ubuntu_Backup”. However, I am faced with “End-of-File” error [(Compressed file ended before the end-of-stream marker was reached); <traceback object at 0X7fe2de2aed00>] when attempting to “Restore” the backups to their original location. Despite mounting correctly at /media/Ubuntu_Backup on the 3rd partition of the usb-HDD (assigned backup location) backups have not taken place after 19/07/21 despite my persistent troubleshooting efforts. In effect, neither backup nor restore functionalities are working. Unlike the earlier situation, now for fresh backups, encryption password is being demanded. How to resolve these issues and get back my /Home folder?

Do you try to restore to a freshly installed OS or to the one crapped out by the power failure?

The existing OS is working normally, so there was no need for a fresh OS to be installed. I tried to restore the /Home folder crapped out by the power failure to the currently functioning OS.

I doubt your entire home folder can disappear, but your OS remains entirely untouched and working in perfect condition.

If you have the possibility, please try out a test restoration: create a new Test Ubuntu and try to restore there. If it works, then your OS is damaged by the power failure, too.

Yes! The entire /Home folder and its contents in fact have totally disappeared. However, as suggested, I’ll try and revert back after trying Test Ubuntu. Thanks.

A doubt? Can a fresh OS be installed on the same drive (sda) with the same OS functional on the same SSD. Or, do I have to create the fresh Test OS on a separate partition of the main OS drive.?

I have Timeshift system backup of 01/08/21 also. Will it help in the troubleshooting effort?

If you can, I would advise you to be extra sure and install onto a different storage medium, like e.g. a different HDD or SSD. This way you can be absolutely sure the fault is not related to the HDD or SSD that is used for the OS.

You can try that one out in a test environment, too, if it helps you in restoring your data.

OK, Thanks. I shall try out on a different storage medium.