Descent 3 has been made Open Source!

I have never played this game, but now I definitely want to try it out! It’s been licensed under the GPL v3 (the original article said MIT, but that was a mistake). First thing first is that they need to get it working again, as a result of the new license some necessary components had to be removed (such as sound and video libraries).

4 Likes

I played a ton of Descent and quite a bit of Descent 2. I’ll have to give that a try.

2 Likes

That’s cool! Would you say the first two are worth checking out?

Descent was one of the first games you could play with others on a local network. I did this on a Novell network using IPX rather than IP. The computers were probably mostly 386 but maybe a couple 486 CPUs.

One of the coolest things was you could setup three computers as one player. You could then put one monitor to your left, another on your right, and the normal monitor in front of you. That way it showed you the view out each side of the cockpit of your spaceship or whatever it was.

I was amazed by the game because other games you would run through a maze. If you came into a room, you would recognize the room if you had been there before. With Descent you might not because you might fly in upside down from what you had done before, and it would look enough different you wouldn’t recognize it. Fun stuff.

With Descent 2 they added a missile you could fire and then control using your joystick or mouse. You had the missile’s view on your control panel.

4 Likes