Desktop freeze after screen flickers

Hardware acceleration is already disabled on both desktops, two laptops has it on.

1 Like

Yes, the graphics card does not seem to be all that new.
It may be the combination with core i9 that is new
All you can do is try thingsā€¦ as @pdecker said, try live distros first, although it is possible for a live distro to work, then when you install it it failsā€¦ because hardware detection is better in live distros than in installers.

There is more involved in driving graphics than the driver. There are various packages concerned with the way X11 talks to the graphics driver. You can probably find them with
dpkg -l | grep intel .
Those packages may also differ between distros.
and, if you are using Wayland, I assume there will be something equivalent.

I hadnā€™t thought about that. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (using Gnome anyway) runs under Wayland, but you can choose to run X11 from the login screen. Not sure about Kubuntu.

1 Like

Pop!_OS defaults to non-Waylandā€¦ which is fortunate for me 'cause Wayland breaks Synergy KVMā€¦ I know itā€™s possible, Iā€™ve seen a few Pop!_OS users of heavy intensive 3D Linux software where Wayland just makes it all run so much betterā€¦
Apparently Synergy 3 (in beta) now supports Wayland, but too late for me, and they donā€™t have a binary beta of 3.x for arm64ā€¦

1 Like

Sometimes there is a solution out of left field

I was sitting at my large desktop with its new graphics card last night, using MX, when suddenly everything frozeā€¦ no mouse no key entry.
I thought, Oh no I did not solve thee graphics card problem by going to MX. Reboot, aand it happens again, very quickly?

It was a flat battery in the mouse.

1 Like

On a single machine - def possible.
On many machines - probably not.

Ive been running vivaldi and firefox each on their own laptop and only the vivaldi
laptop has had problems. Good news - still the browser - bad news - Im all invested for daily use and it fits my usage routine better.

Ha, a real clue.
Have you been able to turn off acceleration in Vivaldi?
Did you look at the X11 v Wayland question?
What about looking into versions of vivaldi?

1 Like

Yes. Acceleration is off.

On the question:

Preferred Ozone platform

Selects the preferred platform backend used on Linux. The default one is ā€œX11ā€. ā€œAutoā€ selects Wayland if possible, X11 otherwise. ā€“ Linux

Im on my desktop today and its on Default.
I have my other desktop set to Wayland specifically.
Both have had at least one freeze each since going to this setting
March 22.

These are two different systems: both Kubuntu 22.04 but one is Intel
one is AMD, one has built in graphics, the other has a card.

This system has wired keyboard and mouse but the AMD system has
wireless keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

Note: Iā€™ve had to do this in the past - i.e. disable hardware acceleration in a Chromium based Web Browser in Linux : i.e. Chromium x86_64, and Google Chrome x86_64ā€¦ I donā€™t remember the exact specifics, but Iā€™ve had to do this on a couple of instances on Linuxā€¦

One of the symptoms was a MASSIVE spike in CPU usageā€¦

Another one was, I think, laptop getting excessively hotā€¦

Note: I havenā€™t had to do this for at least the last 2-3 years, I now regularly use 3 Chromium based browsers :

• Brave
  • Google Chrome
  • Microsoft Edge - sync to a Microsoft O365 account works really well on this, and I use it extensively for work stuff (Outlook Web, timesheeting systems, hotdesk booking systems).

I also keep Firefox as a backup (Citrix web seems to work better here), and I have used both Vivaldi and Midori browsers in the past. Never had an issue with eitherā€¦

1 Like

Daniel - I have hardware accl off right now and I still get that. If fb specifically is open in a tab, about once or twice an hour memory usage goes up to around 5-7gb!! and cpu across all threads is 30%. Cant do anything but wait until it stops -which is around 10 to 30 seconds.

I dont use my laptop except for specific work so thankfully I didnt experience that heating up that you did.

I too have Brave, Chrome, Firefox but Vivaldi is now may main one. FF is for development and Brave is for a other things. Chrome - just in case something feels off - I check it.

Side note - I do a lot of work with google maps and without hardware accl on - the map jumps on every move - it sucks! I had to move over to FF to get work done last night because of it. Oh, and - vivaldi-base (which is chromium) got an update yesterday soā€¦ wondering what that brought in.

That seems like a memory leak or a failure to free unused memory. In other words a programming bug.
Have you looked at vivaldi bug reports?

maybe kernel 5.15 & i915 ?

also
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=378573

@wadesmart ,
This may be useful

I do not have that problem on my notebooks.
Any ā€œflickerā€ is specific to when the browser is open.

1 Like

what caught my eye in the top link I posted was

ā€œI can confirm the flickering happens for me too, sporadically (twice a day). I have seen this while having Chromium opened and with Firefox opened. I am using the lemp9.ā€

maybe related or maybe notā€¦

1 Like

After several days - whatever cases the crashes also cause the logs to ā€¦ wellā€¦ no longer log. On my laptop I used on firefox and Ive not yet seen a problem. My main desktop is still vivaldi and I have had two more freezes. The other laptop, I did have vivaldi on and running but with only a single tab and it has not froze and has not been used much but must remain on and active.

You seem to have 2 optionsā€¦ a fix from vivaldi, or abandon using it.

After several days - whatever cases the crashes also cause the logs to ā€¦ wellā€¦ no longer log

If this vivaldi program has a memory leak it could clobber anything in the user space of your system. Get rid of it.

How can a memory leak be verified?

A Duck search proved good
eg
How can a memory leak be verified in Vivaldi !

If it clobbers your log daemon, it is almost certainly a memory leak
You can watch the size of the process with ps or top but that is not necessarily a leakā€¦ it may be just not freeing memory when it is finished with it.
There is a difference between hogging lots of memory, and actually writing to memory that is outside the programā€™s space. The latter is supposed to be trapped as a segmentation fault, but a tricky bug can bypass the trap and then it will write on another programs space and can clobber anything.
You need the source code to debug a memory leak.
and see reply from @artytux ā€¦ there are documented cases

1 Like