Desktop/work station with pre-installed Linux OS

Hello everyone
It’s been a while since i last posted in this forum but i have finally got the funds in place to purchase a decent desktop/work station that comes with Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS pre-installed. So i’d appreciated any recommendations from forum members in this regard.

What are the chances of a tutorial about installing a linux OS onto
an SSD drive. I honestly don’t have a clue.

1 Like

Why install when it’s pre-installed already?

Half your luck mate - last time I was shopping for a new laptop - NONE of the mainstream Linux laptop suppliers (pointing finger accusedly at Dell and Lenovo) sell these in Australia (and System76 and others are prohibitively expensive)… Anyway - nearly bought a Lenovo laptop new - to wipe Win10 and install Linux - but Lenovo were taking too long to fulfill my order so I cancelled and bought a MacBook Pro M1 - i.e. a RISC CPU laptop running UNIX. I still don’t understand why you would want to run Linux on a device that already has a NATIVELY optimised UNIX install (MacOS is UNIX - it’s 100% POSIX compliant)… I still remember ogling niche computer magazines advertising RISC CPU laptops (Tadpole running sparc CPU and Solaris) - finally Apple delivered…

Note: writing this post on an ebay Lenovo E495 (AMD CPU / APU / GPU) running Ubuntu 23.04 (but will probably go back to Pop!_OS)…

Installing nearly all O/S on SSD is no different to HDD - both present themselves as storage and for all intents and purposes, are essentially the same, from an abstract perspective…

This Thinkpad E495 came with 8 GB RAM and Win10 on a 256 GB SSD. I never even booted Win10… bought a 1 TB NVMe SSD and cannibalized 16 GB of LPDDR4 (SoDIMM) from another laptop and installed Ubuntu 20 (I think?)…

2 Likes

Nothing special, really. Just install it onto the SSD as you would do with a HDD.
The only tweak I did that I made sure in /etc/fstab the mount points pointing to an SSD have “noatime” option.
Something like
UUID=############# / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1

4 Likes

Today I learned…

I did a search on what noatime is and found this: Improve Linux system performance with noatime | Opensource.com

For others that might be interested. I’ll have to check on my daily driver at home and see if I can implement that and notice any change.

Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

I made it to reduce write operations to the SSD, not really because of performance benefits. Performance is quite good on SSD anyway.

1 Like

By golly I just checked my laptop, running Pop!_OS, and it’s already there for the / mount. The others don’t have it, but you wouldn’t gain anything for a swap parition. There is a boot and recovery mount that wouldn’t have that option.

I would think with an SSD you might want to use a swap file rather than a swap partition. That might level the writes more over the whole disk. But the built-in levelers probably do that already.

1 Like