Disabling Secure Boot in Windows 11

Moving on from my last post concerning a openSUSE Leap tutorial i decided to burn to a DVD Ubuntu MATE 22.10 and run it as a “Live” DVD just to familiarise myself with the OS once again. Or even to dual boot the Linux OS alongside Windows 11. I already knew that i would have to disable “Secure Boot” in Windows 11 in order to tryout Ubuntu MATE 22.10. Having accessed the BIOS and navigated to the Boot tag i can see Secure Boot: [Enabled] but no matter what i’ve tried i cannot highlight it so i can change the setting to disabled. So once again can someone help me please. Thanks all

@Hawkeye
W11 requires secure boot to be enabled to boot along with tpm, fast boot can and is usually disabled,
but must be present for W11 to boot, along with a gpt formatted drive. So, I doubt you will be able to
disable W11 secure boot, without permanent damage to W11. My best advice would be to run Linux
in a VM, ditch W11 and install W10 or ditch W11 all together and run Linux. Their is no win win situation for this.
I checked my W11 secure boot status, and it is indeed disabled, but I have home built
PC. It more than likely is what @squealingcode is saying, and it has been altered by
the manufacture with the keys to enable secure boot. I still say if you disable secure
boot on that machine, W11 will probably not boot.

Windows 11 only needs Secure Boot to be enabled before upgrading or installing. It does not require Secure Boot to boot. I can confirm this, as my current setup does not have Secure Boot enabled, but I dual boot Windows 11 and Ubuntu.

Many systems (especially Acer, if I recall correctly) require that you set a BIOS password before you can disable Secure Boot. The presence of a Windows 11 installation should and will not lock down the options within your BIOS/UEFI, but the manufacturer may have placed restrictions from the factory.

1 Like

Why not to a pendrive? If you “burn” the iso to a pendrive, it will work way much faster, than from a DVD.
Why 22.10? Are you aware, that it will be supported only until July 2023?

That’s up to your BIOS. Maybe you need to got some “advanced mode” or whatever.

1 Like

@Hawkeye
Found this maybe it can help, one thing, is your Windows 11 in S mode? If not then read
this link https://www.thewindowsclub.com/secure-boot-is-greyed-out-in-bios-fixed

I finally managed to disable “Secure Boot”, and then selected my CD/DVD drive to boot into Linux MATE 22.10 but still couldn’t get the laptop to run the distro. Came very close to throwing the laptop and Windows 11 through the window lol.

I would like to build my own desktop computer but finances just won’t allow it at the moment. So i’m saving like mad and determined that the next computer i purchase will never ever have anything to do with Microsoft Windows.

@Hawkeye
I have worked on quite a few Windows laptops, only to find they are running in S mode, make
sure your laptop isn’t.

@Hawkeye
I have just what you need, case, Intel mobo, dual core pentium, 8GB ram, it would run any
linux you may want. It has a Nvida graphics card that can be replaced with AMD, which probably
needs to be done. Got too many of these PC’s laying around, need to get rid of 1 or 2.
It has Debian 11 running now, but that can be easily replaced.

1 Like

@4dandi4
I am a 70 year old fella who just loves fooling around on my PC. I really like creating web pages with HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript. Going to start learning PHP and/or Python just as soon as i get a new Linux Desktop PC. But now i’m stuck with a laptop that is slowly but surely driving me up the wall. The only reason i’ve kept the laptop is because i use it mainly for reading ebooks from my local library. The next desktop pc i purchase will have a Linux distro installed by default and have nothing to do with Microsoft Windows what-so-ever!

@Hawkeye
OK, but do you need a completely new PC just to run Linux, I think not. If I had your laptop, I
could more than likely fix it, but I do have the desktop that could be configured, into whatever
you may want, when it comes to Linux.
If you might be interested, I could maybe take a few photos or whatever.
BTW I am a 75 and have been working and building PC’s for over 20yrs now, I am getting close
to having to give it all up, for various health reasons, and have a surplus of desktop PC’s
that will probably end up in a landfill.

@4dandl4
Here’s a proposition for you, i’ll swop you my Windows 11 Laptop for one of your desktop’s? The desktop would have to have at least 8GB of RAM and have a Linux OS up and running on it. I won’t need a monitor, mouse, or keyboard. Oh and before i forget it must have a decent amount of storage. Let me know asap!

@Hawkeye

The machine is running a 1tb HDD with XP installed and a 250GB SSD with Debian installed, I need to keep the SSD but XP can go and Linux can be installed on the HDD. The machine is also running Nvidia GT620 graphics, that I will have to exchange for a AMD card.
If you will post me a private message we can go a little deeper into this transaction. Daniel.

The laptop cost me £700 so i think that you would have to sweeten the pot somewhat before i would consider a deal.

@Hawkeye
Only thing wrong with that, is I do not really want the laptop, and have no idea on
what shipping would cost. Are you still wanting Ubuntu Mate?

@4dandl4
I am after a new desktop computer that will run a Linux distro of my choice. Ubuntu MATE is my favorite at the moment. So i think i’ll hang on for a short while until the finances are in place and then purchase a desktop computer that will run all the very latest Linux distro’s and be upgradable for latest software.

Beware of buying something too new. There can be issues with linux drivers for very new hardware, especially in distros that have a slow release cycle like Debian.

You can save a lot buying a refurbished desktop a couple of years old, and that will probably avoid any firmware issues.

1 Like

And you will have the same issues, that you are having with your
laptop. Linux does not require new hardware, just compatible hardware. The choice is yours, good luck.

Hi nevj
I did once try buying a refurbished desktop from Amazon some time ago and when i got the machine back it just wouldn’t work. Had to have it examined by a computer engineer who told me it was rubbish. Was very lucky to have my money back.

I should have some thing like £900 to £1000 to spend. At my time of life all i want is a machine that is going to last and lets me run whatever operating system i want.

Anyway, Big thanks to everyone who contributed with help and advice.

@Hawkeye

My machines are not rubbish, just thought I would let you see what Ubuntu Mate
looks like, on the machine we were discussing. Not bad, since the Mate DE, is about
all I run with Linux, just do not like Ubuntu.