Does the Unity Flavor of Ubuntu suits as a beginner distro

Thanks again but I use an hp stream 11 laptop and it isn’t the fastest all around but I will try the untiy flavor of Ubuntu on it or any distros that uses XFCE LXQT Or Mate

I think many 'new" Linux users are not aware of the freenes to choose almost any Desktop Environment (DE) with almost any Linux distro. Let’s say for example Ubuntu has many official versions (spins) like Kubuntu/Lubuntu etc and all are the same distro but different DE. And any of them you install you can add any other DE and change which one you use on every boot. I have one Ubuntu with KDE = Kubuntu iso download if you want it directly or you can download any Ubuntu spin from their official site and just add the KDE Neon DE. Same with let’s say with Arch, you just install the distro first and then choose any DE or use only cli or use only window manager or… Can you see the idea? You choose, it’s FOSS

2 Likes

I know that it’s just a want to start with something simple like Ubuntu mint mx then I move to fedora and open suse maybe even arch

1 Like

Basically you just change the package manager when you distro hop. But it’s fine! It’s learning and fun for some of us. Me included. I personally liked Unity when it was new and didn’t like when Ubuntu dropped it. I don’t like the new gnome and use Cinnamon for most of my computers. It’s good to have choices😃

3 Likes

But I’m using the new Ubuntu untiy not the og and I want to be unique from all the gnome and kds fans

It’s fine, just enjoy!

1 Like

Yes, choose a small DE , or even a window manager. IceWM or Enlightenment are almost as good as a DE.

2 Likes

Ok does the untiy works as a light enough deal or should I stick using Sway Ice wm Fluxbox etc to be honest I will just try mint with xfc or anti with Ice wm

You want to be unique? That seems to be your primary goal, so select any distro you like, load any DE you like, and select any WM you like. That’s the beauty of Linux.

I would prefer a polished, no-defects distro (Mint or Fedora) that simply works, all the time.

If you want to be unique, show it in your ability to articulate your needs.

5 Likes

OK Mr bill I will send a video about my progress next year