Does the Unity Flavor of Ubuntu suits as a beginner distro

Hello does Ubuntu unity suits me as a new Linux user and I wonders if I can use it as a daily driver
Hope you can help recommend for the best advices for my use case

There is no reason why that should not be suitable for a new user.

See the following discussion

There are many things for a new user to consider. Choice of linux distro is one on the less important issues… any reasonable distro will suffice. Ubuntu is a good choice
because it is mostly hassle free.

3 Likes

but im talking speficly about the unity version

Why is this so important? Any Linux will suffice as a beginner distro!!!

3 Likes

The desktop environment does not matter. Unity is as good as any other choice.

So it’s fine to use and to not confuse you I’m especially talking about Ubuntu Unity 23.10

Yes, good choice.

2 Likes

Not sure I would agree with this statement. With over 200 Linux Distro’s to choose from, I am sure some Linux versions are easier to install / run then others.

3 Likes

https://ubuntuunity.org/ here’s the link to the official website for the context of this post and also understanding the topic of helping me

For a windows user I would prefer Linux mint.

But if you insist on Ubuntu then

As that is so close to a windows interface…

I am not a fan of Ubuntu as I find after installation needs too much work on look and feel so is alien to a windows user, but
Personal choice

4 Likes

Hi @Mohamad20ZX,

I believe any version of Linux based on Ubuntu would be a good choice for you. I moved form Windows to Linux over 5 years ago. Like Paul (@callpaul.eu), I use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu. For a short time I also used Xubuntu which has the Xfce DE (desktop environment). I also tried Ubuntu, but again like Paul, I did not care for it.

A quick search on the internet, I found these comments about Ubuntu;

“Ubuntu is considered a good Linux distribution for beginners. It’s free, open-source, and has a reputation for being easy to use. It’s also low maintenance, has good driver support, and comes with a preinstalled GUI software store.”

and

" Ubuntu has a reputation for being a great Linux distribution for beginners, often credited for its ease of use, polished user experience and accessibility settings, in addition to the out-of-the-box support for a wide range of hardware** mentioned above. But the benefits are more long term than that. May 23, 2023".

Since Ubuntuunity is based on Ubuntu, I don’t see how you could go wrong. It will most likely have the same benefits as mentioned above. Give it a try. If you end up not liking it, there are plenty of Distros out there to try. Many of them are based on Ubuntu and many of them that are not. The choice of course is yours. Most of time, it just comes down to personal preference.

2 Likes

I looked at you link.
You can get a modern Ubuntu version as a download with Unity.
I can not see any problem for a new user.

Ubuntu, Mint, or MX are all good choices for a new user

3 Likes

If you were to ask me, and, I actually REALLY liked Unity, and was sad when Canonical abandoned it, I counsel against Unity, because Canonical have abandoned it - will it work on Wayland? Canonical were going to replace X11 with MIR, to run Unity on - but everyone’s moving to Wayland, what happens to Unity? Ubuntu “default” is Gnome 4x and Wayland - I think Wayland is now the default for Ubuntu (Pop! thankfully still defaults to X11, which I need because I run Synergy KVM).

The Unity “respins” are only maintained by a couple of enthusiasts, I think one’s a teenager in India? Not saying that’s a bad thing - but - it would be MUCH easier to find and address (and google) issues with Linux if you chose an LTS (long term support) mainstream distro, e.g. Ubuntu 22.04 (I’d strong recommend AGAINST going for any 23.04, 23.10 releases for a new user).

Me? I’d recommend Ubuntu 22.04, or maybe even Pop!_OS 22.04, or one of the LTS releases of Linux Mint.

First time Linux user? Go for an LTS (Long Term Support) version of Ubuntu or Mint or whatever…

5 Likes

Thanks Mr Howard I will try Linux mint again and see if it’s better with the XFCE DE Edtion

Oh OK I will also try mx again and hope it’s supports my drivers

Thanks again Daniel and I will also Q4OS as I’m testing it on a cm currently and it’s looking to be an amazing distro for both beginners and people with old machines

There is MX “ahs” it has better driver support for new machines.

2 Likes

OK but I was really wanted to use Ubuntu unity or the mate version but oh well at list Linux mint de is also good

If you want that, do it.
It is not irreversible… if it does not perform you can always
scrap it and try something else, or even dual boot.
Free software is flexible.

1 Like

That is what Linux is all about!!!
My two distros of choice is Gentoo and Debian, does not mean that I do not try other
distros. About the only difference in any Linux, is the package manager, and a few commands. Or be creative and create your own Linux.

3 Likes