What do you think are the common mistakes new Linux users make?

Trying to use Windows app out of the box? Having no clue before using Linux?

What mistakes do you think the new users make in their journey to explore Linux?

One of our articles already cover some points, which you can also refer to:

starting with Kali as their first distroā€¦

1 Like

Running or should say trying to run before they know how to walk with Linux
Thinking they know it all about IT because of a few classes on computing
Jumping into Linux commandline using sudo is what you do yeah ! :sarcasm
0Oh, they say
How did that happen,Why did Linux do this or that.
Linux must be crap - Their opinion is based on their limited knowledge.
Sure they get taught how to fix things
( and that IS a good good thing for all of us, them, me and you),
For the ones that stay they learn, we all learn and benefit from another Linux user.
Everyone started off not knowing, learning is fun, yeah even at my age mm,
So
Do they say ā€˜Thank Youā€™ . . . donā€™t hold your breath waiting for that.
but gee whiz stop blaming Linux and this blaming linux happens in every distro and every Linux users help forum.
Linux is simple by design and complex by nature because it is a computer operating system.
Linux Terminal not a toy and neither is sudo so stop playing there , you little ! !
So
Yep the short answer would be playing with sudo in the terminal.
Q
Whatā€™s that saying about a little knowledge something something nope canā€™t brain at the moment.

:exploding_head: . . . . . . . :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The same mistakes they make using Windows or Mac
ie

• thinking one can master any piece of software by playing with it instead of doing the necessary reading of manuals, guides, wikis.
  • projecting ones own faults onto the computer system
  • expecting a free lunchā€¦ you have to put some effort in.

Good topic @Ankush_Das

1 Like

Canā€™t quite see your point here??? You will not get much done in Linux without using the terminal, sudo is there for the user to do root commands without using su to root. Either way a Linux without sudo is nothing. Some of you guys, that are installing prebuilt Linux distros are in need of going back to school.

I have never used Kali!!! For the record I started with Ubuntu 6 a very long time ago!!!

1 Like

Installing Ubuntu, because itā€™s the only Linux distro they heard about in a 15 year old computer that have the the cheapest and worst minimal hardware.

2 Likes

Of course you canā€™t see the point you didnā€™t read the post in context !
Did you read what I wrote or did you read only what you wanted to read
the way you wanted to see the post.

Neville explains the same thing in an easy to read//understand format !

Read it again please.

Yeah leave Win$ because of bloat and viruses so go on - install Ubuntu that is chokers full of bloatware and saying itā€™s like running Debian would be the same as saying EndeavourOS is the same as openSUSE , I know they are both Linux and both different from each other.

You want to throw insults well who should go back to school Hmm ,
Learn to read in context.
please

No good going back to school if you dont pay attention

1 Like

Sounds like myself!!!

I run Windows everyday, and have so for years, have never had a virus and the only virus software I ever run is Windows Defender, but only because it is baked in, these days.

Having a proper data and system backup routine

If your collecting and storing anything wallpapers, documents and/or music chances are that you might do some work on those be it music metadata so itā€™s stored and shown in music players properly,
working with wallpapers making them a number of preset sizes depending on the original size to suit you monitors display
Documents that require editing
all this takes time and effort so getting into a routine where the data and system is backedup after every session is an easy way to keep everything up to date so if a platter drive or an ssd screws up and works no more you only need to go to the shop and buy a fresh drive to copy the data back into
Doing this after any work session and end of day
(Keeping only the last per day if there are many sessions)
is not a time consuming chore if you consider what amount of time went into getting the data originally while the machine is doing the backup it does not need you so go make a coffee, brush your teeth there is always other things that you can do in that short time while the machine works

My software was Luckybackup it cannot handle long file names
Backintime does not have that problem with long file names it has a problem with links in folders so when deleting an old backup it wonā€™t completely erase it, there are workaround if you canā€™t avoid links.
And of course Timeshift has saved me from my '0Oh Iā€™ll just try this and damn time to restore.

2 Likes

I have read it several times and still have no idea as to what you are trying to say.

Thats basic to running any computer, Linux or whatever.

And yet so many donā€™t

1 Like

Iā€™ve made romantic overtures to it in the past, but never used it in angerā€¦ :smiley:

But I used Linux a LONG LONG time before Kali was even a sparkle in Mati or Devonā€™s eyes (orginal developers)ā€¦ and other times when Iā€™ve wanted some (or one) of the tools Kali provides, Iā€™ve just installed katoolinā€¦

I recently cutover a spare RPi Zero W to headless Kaliā€¦ And hit a roadblock getting full Kali working on my RPi4B (couldnā€™t get it to boot off USB - but I may revisit - because I reckon SD-Card read/write would draw much less power than USB 3 devices). Hmmm - yeahā€¦ Reckon Iā€™ll break out that Pi4B again - Iā€™ve now got a UPS on it (PiJuice Hat) and spare batteries - and take another look at Kaliā€¦ Iā€™ve also got a ā€œthingieā€ dongle on the way from Kickstarter - AURGA - plug it into a USB and HDMI port, fire up their app on your computer (Windows, MacOS, Linux) or tablet or smartphone (iOS or Android) and youā€™ve got access to the console of the thing itā€™s plugged intoā€¦

one of the most fundamental mistakes these numpties make when using Kali as their first ā€œgettiing their feet wet in Linuxā€ experience, is they barely understand computers, never mind anything more complex, and theyā€™re nearly always stuck at the point of understanding USB pass through from their Windows 10 PC to a VirtualBox guest VM running Kali :smiley:

1 Like

Trying to learn Linux from a VM, or trying to do a multiboot install , just overcomplicates the issue.
I know @4dandl4 thinks learning Gentoo in VM is a good idea, but that is a special case.
The simplest way to start with linux is a hard install in a PC on its own. An older PC is fine.

4 Likes

Me too. I also use OpenDNS to help block bad sites.

Itā€™s very popular to bash Windows, but it works really well most of the time. Iā€™m amazed at the variety of hardware it works well on.

Hardware is probably one of the biggest mistakes a new Linux user could make. Not all distros will install and run well on all hardware. Windows is more forgiving that way because the desktop or laptop was likely built to run Windows in the first place.

On the other hand, my current laptop is a Dell Inspiron with an 11th gen Core i7 an SSD and even an Optane drive. That seems to have caused me an issue. It was delivered with Windows 10 and when I tried to dual boot it I didnā€™t get it quite right. So I just wiped it and installed Ubuntu. Later I tried to install Windows 10 again, but the generic ISO doesnā€™t have some Dell drivers so it wonā€™t easily install again.

So I dropped that option and am currently running Pop!_OS on it. Iā€™ll wipe it again and run something else at some point this year.

1 Like

With the specs you have it should run W11 easily. I now have the parts together to rebuild
my desktop to W11.

Specs arenā€™t the issue though. I think itā€™s the Optane drive causing problems. I build a bootable USB drive and start the install, but it fails with an error. I forget what the error is exactly, but something like ā€œunrecognized yada yadaā€.

No biggie. Iā€™m happy to run whatever works. Unfortunately it allows me to poke at docker and kubernetes in my ā€œfreeā€ time too.