Download sublime text editor in ubuntu

i tried to install sublime texteditor with ur commnad on terminal but it didn’t insatll in my laptop.i’m using ubuntu 64-bit version .can u please help me?

Did you try the steps mentioned here? Linux Package Manager Repositories – Sublime Text 3 Documentation

Post the error you are getting

No apt package “sublime-text”,but there is a snap with that name.try snap install sublime text.
E:unable to locte package sublime-text.

how can i get out of this?can u help me what it says i didn’t understand?

You already answered your own question…

That said, did you try using the approach proposed earlier?

yes i tried exactly what in there.even i tried 2to 3 times but i didn’t get the app

Did you try the alternative solution you have been shown?

I just tried it (Kubuntu 20.10) with the apt method - and it worked, with a little caveat:

The install script installs the package in the /opt directory and the executable in /opt/sublime_text/ and does not add these directories to your PATH environment variable.

So I had to add

PATH=$PATH:/opt/sublime_text

to my ~/.bashrc file (and do source ~/.bashrc).

Alternatively, you can do, say

sudo ln -s /opt/sublime_text/sublime_text /usr/local/bin

1 Like

I wonder: What features does this editor have, that VS Code does not?

1 Like

I think the OP is looking for simplicity. VS Code, Atom are geared for programmers.

Ubuntu 20.04 :

╭─x@tethys ~  
╰─➤  sudo snap install sublime-text 
error: This revision of snap "sublime-text" was published using classic confinement and thus may
       perform arbitrary system changes outside of the security sandbox that snaps are usually
       confined to, which may put your system at risk.

If you understand and want to proceed repeat the command including --classic.
╭─x@tethys ~  
╰─➤  sudo snap install sublime-text --classic                                                                          1 ↵
sublime-text 3211 from Snapcrafters installed

voila!

too easy…

1 Like