Dual boot install Ubuntu 20.04 lts with window 11 on hp

OS windows 11 on hp w/ 1 TB memory. This is a new laptop that I just bought and have nothing on yet.

I am trying to dual boot windows with ubuntu 20.04

following these steps here except that I used Rufus to create a bootable USB drive because for some reason Balena was not working for me.

The problem as you can see pic that I do not see the unallocated free space? And I also do not see the install ubuntu alongside Windows boot! So from the second image what should I select?

/dev/nvmeOn1

or 

/dev/nvme1n1

Update laptop specification:

HP ENVY 17 Laptop PC
•1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
•32 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
•Windows 11 Home 64 ADV
•Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 (up to 4.7 GHz, 12 MB L3 cache, 4 cores) + Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics

Hi @rick1 ,
When you followed step 4 - make some free space using windows, did it not tell you the partition names?
If not, you can find out what you have using gparted. Download gparted, write it to a dvd or a usb drive, then boot gparted. It will show you all the partitions present. You can use gparted to alter the partition setup, and I would recommend doing it that way rather than using windows as step 4 suggested.
You are right to be careful. At that step you are choosing the partition to write the Ubuntu root filesystem to… Wrong choice means you probably overwrite windows.
Thats a good post Rick. Dont proceed unless you understand each step when doing an install.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

Hi again @rick1
A second thought.Windows is normally 2 partitions.
Those 2 partitions listed may both be windows, and the free space just not listed.?
Can someone who has Ubuntu install experience please help here?
I have done lots of installs but not Ubuntu
Neville

1 Like

So yes I did do step 4 and I do have unallocated free space in the windows partition.

Are you saying to use gparted is that is a GNU app? I do not have ubuntu yet installed?

Hi @rick1
I think you mean you have unallocated free space on the disk, outside the windows partition(s)
Yes gparted is a gnu utility. You dont normally run it inside an installed linux. You boot the machine from a gparted dvd or usb drive . A gparted dvd is like a live dvd- it boots a version of linux and lets you run gparted from there. That is to ensure all disk partitions are unmounted. You can use gparted to just view the partitions, and you can edit the partitions (be careful).
Do you know how to boot from a dvd or usb drive. You interrupt the boot when the bios screen appears (normally del or f2) then a bios menu appears and you can set what to boot from ( and lots of other things - be careful again)

We should wait and see if someone with Ubuntu experience can tell you how to interpret that screenshot. It is confusing. When you did step 4 , did you just make free space, or did you go the next step and make a partition on the free space? If there is free space why isnt it listed? If you made a partition why isnt it listed? I dont know the answer.

Befor you can install any linux, you need to have created a partition and put a filesystem on the partition. Most linux installs offer to create partitions and put filesystems on them if there is free space, but you can istall to an existing partition . I prefer to do it the latter way, so I make my partitions with gparted first.

Regards
Neville

STOP, Rick. Look around on this forum for a complete description of this process. Please go to
How To Dual Boot Linux Mint And Windows 10 [Beginner's Guide] and read it all the way through twice. Then come back to ask questions. There are a few questions you need to get answered before you create havoc in your new machine. What you want to do is definitely possible, but you need to do some more studying.

2 Likes

I think @berninghausen 's advice is right for you Rick.
Making partition(s) for linux is a critical step that needs to be done without slipups.
By all means have a look with gparted, but then call a halt and tell us what you have on that disk
Neville

1 Like

Hi there, and welcome @rick1
May I suggest to take a closer look at the given hardware?
He seems to have a M.2 in his machine.
I can tell from my own experience that this (may) add another layer of caution and obstacles to the problem.
(I try to install Mint to a new M.2 since some time, can’t do it. Can’t tell if a technical problem or dumbness…)

Just sayin’…

@Fast.Edi , can you explain what an M.2 is please
Neville

Hi.
A M.2 is an “internally mounted computer expansion card”, see here.
And I think, that they need quite a bit more “fiddling” as our normal SSDs or the like.

In GNU/Linux they are addressed as “nvme”.
This is mine:

As I mentioned earlier, I couldn’t get mine to install a Mint as of now.
Maybe I start a thread, when I can’t figure it out in the next week…

@rick1
You bought a new laptop with W11 and now you want to dual boot with Linux? Why?
You do realize this will probably void any warranty. MS has W11 locked down to a point
that you will lucky to run any Linux, without screwing up the machine. If you are that
displeased with Windows, then wipe the machine and install Linux. It is your machine,
but Ubuntu or any Linux is not the saving grace you are thinking, think again as to
what you are asking.

This seems just like what I have been struggling with. Have you made any progress? Someone suggested trying ubuntu 21. the newest version. Also what would happen if you just fully install Mint or ubuntu on the machine?

@rick1
Have you tried running Linux in a VM?

I do not think the question is about why I bought a new machine. We are trying to figure out why it’s not working. As mentioned by @Fast.Edi also has the same issues with min. I have had Ubuntu on my current machine for the last 2 years and now I need a dual boot not VM. Thanks for your input

Thank you @Fast.Edi ,
This is a relatively new device. The linux drivers may not be there yet, or may be flaky.
Do you have non-free packages set ?
If you can get any linux to run, even a live dvd, look at the dmesg and see what it is doing with the nvme interface.
Best of luck
Neville

Hi @4dandl4 ,
I had no trouble installing 2 linuxes in a triple boot with W11 in a new desktop.
Is this tieing down something special to laptops?
Neville

Hi @rick1 ,
Are you sure your issue is the same as @Fast.Edi 's nvme issue?
Neville

I mean look at the pic and you can see. You can also see that I allocated free memory buy still not working.

Hi @rick1
Partition1 and Partition 4 are tiny - less than 1Gb and they have no filesystem. Are they big enough for a Linux install? I normally use about 100Gb for a linux root filesystem, but 30Gb should be enough. You need a swap partition too.

Did you make 2 free partitions? One may be a windows system partition. You need to leave that alone .

The third one is you windows C drive. leave that alone too
Neville

These were there before I do the partition so I think they are related to the window but I might be wrong. look at the third partition the unallocated memory is about 700 GB. I followed one of the linked that show the partition