Dual Boot with 2 ssd drives - ubuntu not booting

Hi! I have a Dell Vostro 5881 Laptop with Windows 10 Pro on a 500gb ssd. I recently installed a M.2 NVME 500gb ssd on which I installed Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. The install went fine. I changed the boot sequence in bios to Ubuntu first and Windows boot second. When I reboot the laptop it does not boot into Ubuntu. It boots into Windows. Any idea as to what the issue could be.?

I had exactly the same setup in my previous laptop without any problems.

Thanks in advance

Is the BIOS perhaps not capable of booting from an NVME disk ?

When you installed Ubuntu, which disk did it write grub on? If there is no grub on the new disk, it will not boot.

Does the Ubuntu root partition have a boot flag? Sometimes lack of a boot flag upsets a BIOS, especially if it is legacy boot.

If it is UEFI boot, did you make an EFI System
partition on the new disk?

3 Likes

I just recently dealt with this for my new M.2 drive. What fixed it for me was not just setting it in the boot order in BIOS, but also the following:

The key to getting this set in BIOS was a BIOS option I was unfamiliar with:

Boot/Hard Drive BBS Priorities and it showed the current SATA SSD as #1 and the other M.2 drives were listed as 2 & 3. So I made the new M.2 disk with LM cloned onto it as #1.

Once I changed the BBA Priorities, the new drive booted.

Hope it helps you.

Sheila Flanagan

Thanks for your prompt response. I couldn’t find Boot/Hard Drive BBS Priorities in the boot menu. What I did do is disable the windows drive and i could boot into Ubuntu so I think this also answers Neville Jackson’s response to my problem.

So the bios is capable NVME disk
Grub must have been written to the new disk as I can run Ubuntu if I disable the Windows drive.

The Ubuntu installation was an automated process. I created a USB boot drive using Rufus and booted up from there and did a clean install. I just followed the prompts until the end and all went well. I would still like to have both drives enabled and not have to disable the Windows drive to run Ubuntu.

Regards
Mohamed

Many thanks for your prompt response Neville. As per my reply to Sheila, I tried something else. I disabled the Windows drive in bios and I could boot into Ubuntu. So I think this answers your queries. I would still like to have both drives enabled though and not have to disable the Windows drive when I run Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu mainly. Windows is only for a few programs which do not run in Ubuntu like AutoCad.

Regards
Mohamed

1 Like

This is a setting in BIOS, not the boot menu. And not all BIOS versions have it, I would assume. But it is in addition to setting the drive boot order in that you have to choose the new NvME in that setting before it would take effect in the drive boot order setting. This is usually under Advanced settings.

Sounds like you got it working.

Sheila Flanagan

Yes. It looks like a BIOS issue. Follow @Sheila_Flanagan ,
she knows about it
Regards
Neville

Thank you Sir. At least Ubuntu is working. I will just get into the bios and enable the windows drive when I need it ( which is not very often!). The bios on my laptop does not have the option to re-number the drives. I checked all the settings including the advanced setting. Thanks for the responses from yourself and Sheila. Much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mohamed

2 Likes