Encryption and VPN ? What is the difference and do we need both of them?

I am a bit confused? I have been reading about Encryption and really confused myself even more by doing so.:confused::confused: From what I can gather is it is a way of keeping your data safe, I hope I am right on that. Yet it seems to me that if you have a VPN which Opera has built into it that you can protect yourself any way. Surely the only way another can get your stuff is if they have psychical access to your machine or through the internet? Am I right on this or not?

Please can someone explain this in non-techie terms that an old folk like me can understand or point us in the direction that will explain it simply - thanks

2 Likes

Encryption is a broad term and can be applied to anything that protects your data. For example, you can encrypt your computerā€™s hard drive so that even if someone gains physical access to your computer, your data can still not be accessed because it is encrypted with a password.

Then there comes the encryption of web traffic and the most common term these days is HTTPS.

Websites that use HTTPS or apps that provide end to end encryptions, make sure no one can intercept and read the data between your device and the website/app server.

A VPN is another way of providing encryption and privacy to your entire web traffic. A typical VPN solution for home user works differently. What it does is that when you try to connect to any website, the encrypted traffic first goes to the VPN server, it gets decrypted and then sent to the websiteā€™s server. This way, even the website server cannot know your exact location, IP address and other such information and hence your privacy is secured.

More info here: https://www.welivesecurity.com/2010/11/10/vpn-ssl-and-https/ ?

8 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply. I felt a bit silly asking the question, but I just didnā€™t know and if you donā€™t know then the only way to learn is to ask. I am sure I am not the only one who really doesnā€™t know this.

4 Likes

There are no silly questions :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The part to remember is that everything works together to protect you and your data. Operaā€™s built in VPN protects data between your browser and the VPN gateway but beyond that, who knows. Thats where HTTPS encrypting between the browser and the target webserver is an extra layer of protection. Beyond that, as Abhishek illuded to, encrypting messages/files individually and encrypting whole drives/partitions adds further layers to the onion. The more layers makes it harder (not necessarily impossible, but sufficiently difficult) for someone to intercept your data or inject something malicious.

I prefer to use an HTTPS connection through a VPN tunnel whenever possible.

5 Likes

Just a sideline to this I decided after reading the above to encrypt the hard drives of both and have found that it slows down the start up time on Mint 19. Nothing to worry about as once the log in done the speed is exactly the same as it was before. I donā€™t know if it would be the same with other Distros as well. I am not worried about this, as what is a few seconds extra compared to perhaps having all stolen?

2 Likes

I decide 2 years ago to switch from Windows to Linux. From the Day 1 I have encrypted my HDD. I think only what my machine slow down was my long Password.

2 Likes

Encryption is a commando with camouflage. If he uses a tunnel that is VPN.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a good line. Is it yours original?

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

That is what came to my mind when I tried to explain.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been using a VPN Unlimited for around 6 months nowā€“purchased, of course, from the Itā€™s FOSS store. I like the idea of the added security. We Linux users love to pat ourselves on the back because our systems canā€™t get viruses, but that doesnā€™t mean should close our eyes to security issues.

My instinct is that itā€™s always easier to attack than it is to defend. Attacks can succeed on persistence and luck, and then mutate rapidlyā€“just like biological viruses. Having an extra level of defense means youā€™re never in the target group to start with. However, once everyone starts using VPN services then lots of flaws with tunneling will eventually be exposed.

My understanding of built-in VPNs like Operaā€™s is that while they can mask your IP (your unique internet address) they offer the use of only one server which means it will get bogged down at times. Also encryption options are limited.

The advantage of a full-fledged VPN service is that you get a huge range of servers dotted around the globe and a range of encryption options; the more secure optionā€“itā€™s only fair to point outā€“coming generally at the expense of performance.

By happy chance my service has a server in Japan. So when my brother who lives in Matsuyama visited this summer he able view sites normally only available in Japan!

4 Likes

Now you got me wanting to visit the itsfoss store.

2 Likes

Well, it is only a few clicks away!

The service I bought was around $40US, a transferable subscription on 5 machines although itā€™s only active on 4 at the moment.

Also, the software is being actively developed, so functionality is constantly improving.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve learned to not check my email (gmailā€¦) while using my VPN, because it freaks Google out! Is this just Google, or all email providers?

Donā€™t know, because I use Thunderbird as the client. I have found that google search doesnā€™t like VPN and throws up all sorts of strange things when you have on and searching that way

I, too, use Thunderbird, but Gmail thinks someone has hijacked my account when I am running the VPN.
( Ķ”Ā° ĶœŹ– Ķ” Ā°)

1 Like

Perhaps @abhishek might know an answer or work around it. If not I am sure he can find an answer from somewhere

Yes, itā€™s easy to freakout Google with a VPN. Theyā€™re looking for the same IP, but your VPNā€“by designā€“always changes it. Now I havenā€™t this exact problem but if I install a new system on my ā€œtestā€ laptop, and then try to use my google account it always generates email warnings. Even though my IP should match my historic log-ons. (I donā€™t usually donā€™t bother installing my VPN on test partitions.)

Having used my VPN for about 6 months Iā€™ve sort of fallen into some patterns. All revolve around whether itā€™s best to activate my VPNā€“and when not to.

So, for example, if Iā€™m doing on-line banking I always use it and I aIways make sure Iā€™m using a local IP. (I also use a specific minimal browser set to forget all itā€™s history.) And if Iā€™m downloading music from a bandsā€™ website thatā€™s located in, say, Germany Iā€™ll use a German IP. This way Iā€™ll avoid any bandwidth restrictions.

Given your situation, Iā€™d simple turn your VPN off while you get your email. Most websites automatically encrypt your traffic. So once your messages are downloaded simple switch to ā€œwork offlineā€. No one can spy on a broken connection! And no one can crack encryption in that short an amount of time.

Since my VPN only takes about 30 seconds to activate, Iā€™ve started using it when it helps and de-activating it when it isnā€™t.

1 Like

Thanks for this answer I am sure that many people will be helped. I never thought of keeping the VPN for online banking as I thought it might make it harder to get onto. I will keep it on now.

Thatā€™s actually what I do! ĀÆ_( Ķ”įµ” ĶœŹ– Ķ”įµ” )_/ĀÆ