Exiting from Vim

This is mine and I hope I’ll get this
Just Esc Key
Shift Key :wq vim

1 Like

vim is for pussies. ed is the standard editor.

1 Like

My guess
Esc
:wq!

Neville

Try one of these;

If none work, go to the wall plug and pull hard. Count to three and plug it back in.

1 Like

Even if I haven’t changed anything and I don’t need to save - I always exit “vi” (I refuse to call it “vim” - that’s an Anglosphere/European kitchen / bathroom cleaning product) with SHIFT+ZZ… too easy… too quick…

2 Likes

:rofl: IK how to exit from vim .
Maybe this should be a challenge while purchasing Mac for sure . :grin:

You may be interested to hear that in Void Linux, when you enter “vi” you get the original BSD “vi” with no fancy colours or completing brackets to distract from seeing where the cursor is.
Neville

2 Likes

Just :wq man. It is the easiest way to get out of vim. Pretty evil…

1 Like

@Tech_Bottle Then its yours you won the iMac :sweat_smile:

On my M1 mac with Monterey 12.2 its just :q
if you want to save then its :wq - write quit
That’s all I learnt before decided it was the worst editor I had found since I started in 1977!
and I thought ed was bad.

2 Likes

@coullone ,
I think you need to esc from insert mode first

People stick with vi because it becomes ingrained after years of use. I find myself using h,j,k,l instinctively to move the cursor, even when in some other editor like nano. So I might as well use vi.
But I dont try to influence others to use it.

The only case where one might have to use vi, is if the machine boots in single user mode. There vi or ed are all that is available

Regards
Neville

I was always team Emacs during the great editor wars.

1 Like

It used emacs. It was more portable than vi.

All those old editors had a problem to deal with - typewriter keyboard with no arrow keys. Vi tackled it with insert mode and command mode. Emacs had two fingered commands ie it stayed in insert mode and used escape sequences for commands.

I left emacs when it started providing ‘environments’ within the editor, eg wanting me to compile from inside emacs. That breaks the one task one program edict. An editor is an editor is an editor …

Neville

1 Like

Keyboards without arrow keys were before my time.