Favorite Linux Distribution for Gaming

Considering that you can game on most of the popular Linux distributions. What do you think is a recent favorite among Linux users?

I think Pop!_OS can be a good choice. Feel free to share your thoughts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Because of Linux’s vast amount of different environments, they are all good at gaming. In my honest opinion the lighter the OS the better. Also if you’re going to game on Linux through Steam make sure you have a nice 2TB spare hard drive to install all your games on. Format it to NTFS as I give Windblows it’s due NTFS
(New Tech Filing System, though not that new.) Reads better especially on either a SSD hybrid or a SSD. XFCE environment is my choice for gaming on, it isn’t as bloated as some other environments.

1 Like

My friend uses Kubuntu only, for everything, including a lot of games. So seems to be a good fitting gaming distribution.

2 Likes

Good suggestion! Thanks!

Interesting to know that! :slight_smile:

If I were to recommend a distro for someone who recently took “the red pil” …I would recommend anyone of the *buntus (most likely Ubuntu or Xubuntu). They are by far one of the easiest distros to get help with and find solutions when needed.

Otherwise I would recommend Manjaro, because of it being a rolling release distro witch stays current with kernels, drivers and apps. Witch in general is what you want, in order to get the most out of your hardware and gaming.

You can of course stay fairly current with software in *buntu to, but it requires a little more interventions from the user, in general.

2 Likes

Fair enough! Thank you for the insights!

I think i like mint for gaming, i dont game that much but for times i game its doing great

1 Like

Gaming on Linux recently posted an article :

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/12/the-best-linux-distros-for-gaming-in-2021

One of my favourite Linux news sites - maybe level peg with It’s FOSS for most visited Linux / OSS website…

TL;DR: they suggested Ubuntu - and I concur, I mostly only game on my desktop machine with NVidia GTX1650 (I say “only” - in that I don’t usually game on my laptops, because Intel GPU kinda sucks for decent gaming), and run Ubuntu 20.04 - and no dramas… Steam, Proton, Lutris - mostly flawless. But the machine’s getting a bit long in the tooth (circa 2010/2011 AMD Phenon II X6 with 16 GB DDR3) tomorrow’s payday - going to order a new AM4 AMD motherboard (X570 chipset, either Asus or MSI), 1 TB samsung M2 storage, and a desktop case… then following payday (monthly pay sucks!) probably a Ryzen 5000 series CPU (might have come down in price after a month)… already got 4 x 4 GB DDR4 (bought by mistake ~3 years ago)… So this time mid Feb could be rocking completely new hardware… Maybe March I might order 2x16 GB DDR4 - and run with 40 GB of RAM… I might game on this PC - but - when I’m working from home - it’s my main “work machine” too…

1 Like

That’s what old people who barely know how to open an e-mail inbox tell normal people about the internet and games. Do not believe random propaganda from old idiots.

2 Likes

Been playing Doom via GZDoom every so often last 3-4 days…

Recently read David Kushner’s “The Masters of Doom” about id software and how they started out - but mostly about the two Johns, Romero and Carmack… fascinating… Carmack decided after Wolfenstein 3D he needed a NeXT CUBE to develop his next “engine” on (Doom). Hence why it was “easy” to port their games to UNIX and Linux systems… Modern “id” software bares no resemblance to the original pioneer of PC gaming…

Got a hankering to play it it after reading the book… it’s heaps of fun, and the pixelation and “lo fi” nature of the game are “fun”. Doom 3 wasn’t anywhere near as good, because it took itself too seriously and lost the “fun factor”.

I own all the WAD files for the game I bought some 25+ years ago - so why not (I realised I bought them again recently when I bought Doom 3 to play on Lutris)…

Anyway - just gotta find some friends to play deathmatch against :smiley: now - I still remember when we got Doom shareware off Compuserve at work (a hospital) in late 1993 - four of us would abscond to the “training” room - networked 386 computers (decent specs for the time 8 MB RAM, 386-DX33 - no sound cards though) and frag one another mercilessly - and watch the Novell Netware admin dude panicked face as he’d be running up and down the stairs outside the training room, wondering why his IPX network had slowed to a crawl (Doom 1 used broadcast IPX packets :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: )…

Also - I’m watching “Halt and Catch Fire” - I only heard about this 2014 series the other day - but it’s a classic - retro 1980’s 16 bit computing, in a drama, and a great cast too…
– edit –
Also recently bought Quake 1 again (even though I already own it - on CD - with the original Nine Inch Nails soundtrack - it was just “easier” to buy it again anyway - via Steam for a whopping five bucks) - to play with some new quake engine someone released recently…

1 Like