Fedora... A mixed review

Have you ever considered plank? I find it much easier to configure, and more stable, and lower resource usage than Cairo… even works quite well on low power devices like ARM SBC’s etc (CHIP and Raspberry Pi).

I recently used Cairo on Emmabuntus and it wasn’t doing stuff I “expect” (like showing icons for running applications) I killed Cairo, removed it from startup, installed plank… fired up terminal, and there’s the icon in my plank dock, right click and select “keep in dock” - SWEET!

I too am a long term OS X user (well last 2 years anyway :smiley: ) using both MacOS and Linux - I like to keep Linux as feeling as OS X alike as possible, eminently do-able with Gnome 4x and Ubuntu, dash 2 dock and move the window control widget to the left - and - done! I just wish they’d put “slow double click” to rename files BACK into Nautilus and it would be nearly as good as MacOS Finder…

1 Like

I have used Plank and it did seem more minimalist that Cairo (that’s a compliment). Plank rides the struggle bus when it comes to GNOME. But I think I will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

My daily drivers are currently Pop!_OS and Ubuntu Gnome, both running Plank.

It’s been several years since I’ve used Mint. Maybe I’ll give it a spin on a VM for a bit and see how it goes.

@fishyaker Are you using Mint Cinnamon?

2 Likes

I keep coming back to Pop over and over. I tried and liked Zorin, but in real world use, it wasn’t as robust as Pop. That said, it’s been about a week and I am running Mint with Cairo dock as my daily driver on an old Asus i3 Gen 4 laptop. And it runs pretty well. It’s not noticeably slower than my gen 11 i3 running Pop, except when first issuing a command. I have not run speed tests, so that’s just an anecdotal observation.

2 Likes

Yes. I installed Cinnamon.

1 Like

Here’s an idea - what about spawning new threads (in here) when a new articles is conceived on Its FOSS news site ???

Looks interesting - but I reckon I’m gonna stick with Pop!OS for the time being… that whole Fedora and needing RPMFusion (which has packages that conflict with stuff Fedora installs by default) bit is a HUGE TURN OFF…

Pop!OS seem to have everything going good on x86_64, and after a few hiccups on the Pi4, it stills seems pretty ridgy-didge (Aussie for “okay”) on that hardware platform too…

I reckon I’m gonna stick to Ubuntu and derivatives for the time being… Happy to keep using Red Hat on x86_64 headless things (despite the fact that default headless installs of the Red Hat family NEED TO FIRE UP A VGA GUI TO run the installer - Debian and EVEN Ubuntu kick Red Hat and Oracle’s and IBM’s arse here with decent functional text based console installers).

I will second that.
I miss new articles because I am too lazy to go looking for them.
I expect the author of an article would have something to say that could start a discussion.
There are always points of doubt or contention… some of those FOSS articles read like everything is smooth and perfect… that is unnatural… lets discuss the negatives as well as tbe good points.

1 Like

And it looks better - SEVERELY moderated and very brief responses on the front page (ITSFOSS News) - and then moderately “moderated” responses in here…

1 Like