Filen.io - Do you know this cloud storage?

I’ve tried SyncThing, NextCloud, OwnCloud and none of them really worked for me - so settled for Resilio Sync… I originally tried Resilio Sync as a replacement for Dropbox - as I couldn’t afford to pay the monthly fees for 2 TB and so I could connect more than 3 devices…

I found NextCloud unneccessarily complex to setup… You need a “master” and the setup involves some fenagling about with MySQL as well as Apache or something - I gave up. Resilio works for me - has been reliable for 7 years for me…

It syncs over the public cloud too - no idea how it works - but - e.g. I’m at my work office, and my sync shares get updated with the stuff on my home network (both ways) - it instructs my router to create dynamic UPNP rules to allow it to sync over the public cloud.

It’s not a “backup solution” - but it means my desktop operating systems can be “ephemeral” - I’m never bothered about backing up $HOME or anything.
~/Documents, ~/Pictures, ~/Music and even ~/bin are all sync shares - so if I lose my O/S I still have my data somewhere - and - multiple copies… and my games are all in Steam…

2 Likes

Hi Sheila @Sheila_Flanagan,
I’m really sorry, but I forgot about this matter.
I tested SyncThing synchronizing 3 vaults within the same folder and with Obsidian on PC and Android open.
Whenever I made a change, for example in Obsidian on Android, and if I had the same note open in Obsidian on the PC, the note was updated immediately (it just took time for SyncThing to synchronize) and the same happened if I changed a note on the PC and had the same note open on Android.
I tried all 3 vaults and didn’t detect any synchronization problems.
I can do the tests you want, if you want

Jorge

Thanks, @Tech_JA . I, too, have dropped the ball on this issue. Having to cover consistent care of my elderly mother right now. But I will get back to it once she is recovered and I get my life back :sweat_smile:

Sheila Flanagan

2 Likes

Hi Sheila,
I wish your mother a speedy recovery.

Best wishes
Jorge

2 Likes

Hi Sheila,
There is no higher priority. The age of caring for parents is something we all face, and is an opportunity to repay.
Thoughts and prayers are with you
Regards
Neville

1 Like

Count your blessings Sheila. None of my elders are here for me to care for.

2 Likes

Of course, @nevj. Though I am tired, I would not have it any other way. I told my mother after my father passed that no one could care for her like her children, who love her dearly. No home for her…ever. When the time comes she can no longer live alone, she knows she is coming to live with me so I can ensure she is always given the same loving care she provided for me and my sister growing up. Unfortunately, my sister is bedfast now with Guillaine-Barre, so I am all my mother has. And hopefully, that is enough. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sheila

3 Likes

Our Archbishop had that. He made a slow but full recovery.

We spent 15 years looking after both our mothers in their family homes right till the end. It changed our lives, but we would do it all again.

1 Like