Filen.io - Do you know this cloud storage?

Hi, my friends,
I use Koofr as cloud storage, but I’m looking for another one, to work in parallel with Koofr, but with affordable prices and I found Filen.io, which is also open source, has an app for desktop, according to what is written on the website “Zero knowledge end-to-end encrypted cloud storage”, and I would like any of you to know, because I intend to buy, but I would like, first of all, to have some feedback.

The free plan is 10 GB and that’s what I’m testing, but just with simple files yet.
Does anyone use or have used this cloud storage? If so, what feedback do you have on this service?

Thank you
Jorge

1 Like

They’re all pretty much the same nowadays.
I believe they have a policy of cleaning out storage of accounts that are unused for 3 months. That’s a bit short for some folks but not for real breathing users who don’t resemble leaches on free accounts.
Take the plunge for free and put it through your quality control checklist.
Naturally, just like all companies they will “adjust” their policies “in the interest of their customers”.

3 Likes

Hi Terry,
Thank you for your reply.
At the moment, that’s what I’m doing with the free account. I’ll do more tests today and check transfer speeds too, before deciding what to do.

Meanwhile, I found another one, also open source, the INTERNXT.
It’s getting confusing what to choose.
I need to do more tests too.

Thanks
Jorge

It there anywhere one can deposit stuff to be stored forever?
3 months is ridiculous. I want an archive. Short term stuff
can stay at home.

2 Likes

Dropbox and pCloud offer free (but small) cloud storage that does not expire. My free Dropbox account goes back to 2012.

3 Likes

Hi Howard,
Thank you for your reply.
I also have a DropBox account, a very old one too, and I use it every day.
pCloud is too expensive for me to buy.
My question about Filen was because the 100GB lifetime starter price is very affordable.

Thanks
Jorge

3 Likes

Me since around 2008 - all that time I managed to earn up to 11.5 GB “free” by using it and referrals… I’d still be using it for some stuff if they hadn’t cut free accounts to three devices - I potentially have at least 5 (MacBook, Linux desktop, Google phone, iPad and Linux laptop) - so it’s no use to me… Funny thing is they don’t kick devices off if you’ve got more - they just won’t let you add anything else till you’ve only got 2 connected…

I used to pay for it - I don’t want or need 2 TB in the cloud…

So I self host my own solution… If my house blew up - I’d lose everything - but that would probably be the least of my worries :smiley:

I’d be careful of anything that promises untestable stuff - e.g. lifetime plans etc…

I also pay $2.50 p/m for 100 GB with Google… That seems “reasonable” - but - I never want to hit a situation where Google have me by the short and curlies - and it’s almost a sort of “extortion” 'cause my GMail inbox is over 15 GB… So I barely even touch the sides with 100 GB “cloud” storage…

3 Likes

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your reply.
That’s one of my problems. I use DropBox on a daily basis and I have to exclude devices in order to synchronize with others, due to the maximum limit of 3 devices. I have Koofr backing up DropBox and the photos I take from mobile are sent directly to Google and Koofr.
I take a lot of temporary photos, and I’ve had a few situations with Google where I’ve had thumbnails and can’t see the photos, so I’ve switched to this double backup method for mobile.
I’ve looked at Google’s plans and they’re also very affordable like you said, 1.99€ for 100GB, but I can’t remember ever having used or tested accessing Google with Linux other than through a browser.
I already have something to study today.

I’m working towards having my own host solution too but it is (has been) being made very slowly, slower than I’d like, but that would be another topic.

Thanks

Jorge

2 Likes

Yeah - that’s my problem - I barely use my Google Drive from Linux because the connection solutions are so dodgy and lacklustre (they actually just plain SUCK) - when I do use it - I mostly do it through a web browser, my phone, or my Macbook… It’s a shame google won’t get off their butt and make a solution, given they actually run Linux desktops internally…

My self hosted solution (Resilio Sync) works even on the internet (don’t ask me how - it has something to do with UPnP [universal plug and play]).

Most of the time (nearly all of the time) all my Resilio Sync “clients” are on the same LAN / WiFi network - but - e.g. if I go to work (using my work macbook) it still syncs stuff to the other peers on my internal home network…

My router just fudges this automagically - and it works - so I’m not gonna complain :smiley:

Don’t ask me how that works - 'cause I don’t know :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

I won’t ask :grinning:

Thanks for the info about your experience with Resilio Sync.

Jorge

Another small (20 GB) and free cloud storage is MEGA.

3 Likes

Hi Howard,
Thanks for the info.
I tried MEGA a while ago and deleted my account, but I can’t remember why at the moment. I know there was something I didn’t like, but I can’t remember what.

I’m going to use Filen and also trying to get a self host solution up and running

Thank you all
Jorge

I was going to try using MEGA as a Dropbox replacement - and it seemed to work - but - decided not to mainly 'cause “corporates” would frown on its use as MEGA’s main claim to fame is hosting copyright infringing content - and the infamous all out mega (sic) raid on Kim Dotcom’s vast mansion in NZ (helicopters and fully masked SWAT teams)…

I don’t really have an opinion either way (the morals of MegaSync) - but decided against Mega as I do use cloud sync on my “corporate” MacBook Pro, and I also use cloud sync stuff when I work from the office - so I really needed something self hosted…

** my employer’s “Cyber Security Team” (the quotes infer that they’re pretty clueless) flagged me using ToR on my work supplied MacBook - all that was was firing up a private Brave Browser window connected to ToR - so - I don’t do that any more (and I’ve got that option disabled in Brave on that device).

If you are not a fan of public cloud hosted by centralised Big Tech companies, then you might want to try - Cubbit | Geo-Distributed Simple Storage Service https://www.cubbit.io/

Also, from a self-hosting standpoint, a simply but effective free home network solution is NextCloud. It has built in File Sync. Just install the open source Nextcloud server on a Linux Box (my choice would be the snap package on Ubuntu) and then install the Nextcloud Desktop app on your Windows / Linux PCs and you can sync files between your machines. You can even install an Android and iOS mobile apps to sync photos and files to mobile files. Don’t worry your can setup selective sync so you don’t have all files on your server being sync’d to your phone.

Give Nextcloud a try (it’s free Opensource):
Nextcloud - Open source content collaboration platform - https://nextcloud.com/

5 Likes

Hi,
I apologize for advertising, but since I mentioned Koofr in this thread, I decided to post this information here.
I have no affiliation with Koofr, I’m just an ordinary user, but I heard on Reddit today that Koofr is turning 11 and is running an anniversary promotion.
Here’s the link to Koofr on Reddit, for anyone interested in seeing the promotion

Koofr - Celebrating our 11 years with a discount

Jorge

2 Likes

A few years ago I got nuts for a few minutes and bought 2TB of space for life on pCloud. I use it to sync/store all my family photos, videos, and files currently on my home system. I’m very much a supporter of off-site backup systems. It’s actually been working quite well for me. Now, if they’ll just stop sending me offers to increase to 10TB I’ll be even better.

2 Likes

Perhaps look at Syncthing (OpenSource) if you have not already as an alternative. You could set up a cloud server or a server at home and have your data sync to it. https://syncthing.net/

1 Like

Hi @Forester,
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your suggestion.
I also use Syncthing, but in my case is to synchronize Obsidian files from the mobile to the PC and it works very well.

Jorge

2 Likes

Hey @Tech_JA you use Syncthing for your Obsidian vaults? I was using Mega, but it was not reliable, so I finally just paid for Obsidian’s sync.

Everytime I had to open the vault for the first time on a different machine, it created a vault within a vault on Mega and on my local hard drive. I don’t know why, but I will look into using syncthing and see if it is better.

Thanks,
Sheila

1 Like

Hi Sheila,
Syncthing It only works to sync devices that are on the same network.
At the moment, I’m only sync vault with several folders, subfolders and notes and I’ve never noticed any errors.
I’ve never tried to synch more than one vault, but I’ll do that test to let you know how Syncthing and Obsidian behave.
Obsidian, for me, is an indispensable tool, but unfortunately, Obsidian sync, for me, is very expensive, and I found this solution, I think it was on Reddit.
I’ll give you feedback

Jorge

1 Like