Finding AMD-V in Bios in a system 76 thelio-r1

i am trying to set up win 10 in vbox 7 with pop os 22.04 as the mail OS. I am going into bios to enable AMD-V but be darned if I can find any mention of it in the bios. in the system 76 site they just mention that u have to enable amd-v before you can set up win 10. the computer is a thelio -r1. any ideas?

thanks

I think this business of enabling virtualization in the bios may be an out-of-date idea. All modern systems probably have it enabled , so there is no need for a switch in the bios.

My system does VM without me having to enable anything.

So go ahead and try it. It will probably just work

1 Like

Wrong…

My 2 yo MSI “Pro” board has a EUFI / BIOS setting… Default is to LEAVE THAT SET TO OFF! Why??? inxi output :

Mobo: Micro-Star model: X570-A PRO (MS-7C37) v: 3.0

But it’s SUCH a crap BIOS (it looks like a toy - yet they call it “Pro” in the name!) - it took me ages to find it - it’s not labelled ANYTHING obvious…

OK - the MORONS at MSI decided to call AMD-V “SVM” :

• OC setttings > additional CPU features > SMV

Which reminds me - I haven’t even checked if my Ryzen Thinkpad has it set to on… Bizarre to make having it off the default - having it on surely doesn’t affect performance for non-Virtualization users?

It seems to be turned on on my Thinkpad E495 (AMD Ryzen) - in VirtualBox, if virtualization is disabled, it won’t let you create 64 bit VMs… and mine does…
I’ve hardly ever fired up the BIOS / UEFI on this device…

Also to the OP (original poster @Bill_Morin ) - I’m SERIOUSLY jealous - I’d LOVE A system76 system!

1 Like

Thats part of the problem with BIOS’s… there are no standard

It may be called VT-D

Isn’t the Thelio R1 an Intel CPU model?

it’s not called amd-v on Intel platforms - it’s usually called VT/VT-d :

Advanced

• Advanced Chipset Control: Options for FlexiCharger, GPU Performance Scaling, Intel Speed Shift Technology, VT-d, UEFI OS Fast Boot, Software Guard Extensions (SGX), ME State, HeadPhone PC Beep Sound Support.
    • FlexiCharger: Options to enable/disable FlexiCharger. FlexiCharger will not start charging the battery unless it is below the lower threshold, and will stop charging the battery at the upper threshold. Using FlexiCharger for extended periods of time will decrease the battery indicator’s accuracy.
    • GPU Performance Scaling: NVIDIA GPU Performance Scaling Support. Disabling this may cause issues with booting.
    • Intel Speed Shift Technology: Enabling will expose the CPPCv2 interface to allow for hardware controlled P-states (power states.)
    • VT-d: Enable/disable Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O. Extends Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) by providing hardware assets for virtual hypervisors.
    • UEFI OS Fast Boot: When enabled, the system firmware does not initialize the keyboard or check for the firmware menu key.
    • Software Guard Extensions (SGX): Enable or disable Intel SGX (Software Guard Extensions.)
    • ME State: Intel Management Engine. Recommended to Disable.
    • Headphone PC Beep Sound Support: If disabled, there will be no alarm beep sound at boot time though the headphones.

I checked mine. Its called VT-D, and it is enabled. I never touched it , so I guess enabled is the factory setting. I turned it to disabled to check, and my VM still works? Does it do anything? I cant see any difference with it enabled or disabled?

as it turns out it is called SVM in Bios and once I enabled it , i was able to complete the loading of win 10 into vbox. but of course this just lead me to one more issue - i am trying to load a bridge program into the win 10 as it will only run in a windows platform - called bridgemaster - it is on a cd and i have to use an external cd as this machine has no cd port- win 10 in the vbox does not recognize the cd at all. i am presently looking thru the settings in vbox to see what has to be changed so that win 10 will recognize this extra cd.
and many thanks for the many posts regarding this!! all i can say is WOW

1 Like

daniel
this machine came with an AMD CPU ( chosen by me when i purchased it.
BTW- i quite like your sense of humour

1 Like

Requiring SVM enabled must be Win 10 thing. I can run Vbox in my machine with VT-D disabled, but that was with a Linux or BSD guest, not Win.

Copy the CD to an iso file. Then Vbox should be able ti find it.

2 Likes

What @nevj said - create an ISO from the CD-ROM disk e.g. :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CreateIsoFromCDorDVD

Then in the VirtualBox settings for your Win10 VM - under Storage - create or point the existing virtual CDROM drive at your ISO image file…

3 Likes

nev
not sure what u mean by copy the cd to an iso file?

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso (assuming /dev/cdrom is where the CD is mounted, and file.iso is the name you want to give the ISO, in the current directory)

or follow the link provided by @daniel.m.tripp

What dd is doing is making an image copy of an entire device (in this case a cdrom) to a file on your hard disk.