Firefox Seems Slower Than Chrome?

Hello, today i wanted to watch a gimp tutorial on youtube, yesterday i installed the chrome browser because an extension i want only works in chrome, then i opend up firefox and i realized it’s feels slower. I know that in the website it says its faster than chrome and more private, and i know that linux users should use open-source, but i like chrome faster, but the only thing is why did firefox just get slower than chrome and how do i fix it?

Remove that and you will never have problems, again.

1 Like

ok, thanks, i will remove firefox

Thats what you ment right?

Phoronix is my go-to site for honest benchmarks

Why remove Firefox?
Speed issues ?

I always have 2 browsers on all my systems just in case of difficulty with one, even though I may not use it

1 Like

@KITT: You don’t have to remove one browser to use another one for a specific purpose!

Whether one browser is faster or not depends on several factors: hardware, installed plugins, number of tabs or the kind of websites you’re visiting.

Despite the existence of different benchmarks, user experiences can wildly vary.

The choice of a browser can include other questions than speed, e.g. privacy, comfort of the user interface etc.

Thanks for your answers, i will keep firefox, but i will use chrome for my daily browser and my default, i like its interface and seed and everything about it!

1 Like

Go into settings of Firefox the grey three line button top right.
Scroll down to Network Settings and left click settings button after Learn More. Tick the box that says
Enable DNS over HTTPS. Keep the provider as is with Cloudflare. then close Firefox and open it again go to your favorite site and see the speed. :grinning:

In Firefox 84.0.1, Network Settings, Learn more, and Enable DNS over HTTPS are unknowns. They appear nowhere. Turn off history and password saving and things speed up considerably.

It is there. You just have to open Preferences first

1 Like

Sorry. A bit of a senior moment. Those are, of course, the default settings. Or they are in the version of FF installed with Pop!OS.

I keep history turned off and Firefox is fine.
Personally, Google already does too much tracking so I use chrome very very rarely (same with G-Mail, haven’t used it in ? months.
)
It’s not that I’m doing anything dubious, just ‘they’ don’t need to know where I am or what I’m doing. Yahoo is giving me grief over Adblocker, I would turn it off but it isn’t as they want to show, 3 trackers they want to install. I’ll wait the 15 seconds as I can’t pay the fee for ad free (plus they would still want to track me)

1 Like

Hmmmm i dont really mind google doing that i mean its for the good of software, thats why im supporting google and installing chrome

It isn’t for the good of software, Google want’s to sell you …anything. or sellyou habits to other vendors. The amount of what I consider spam is greatly reduced with firefox.

I dont mind at all i mean i personally think google is the best search engine and company

Google already knows too much.
Do you know this strory?
It’s just a joke, but it has some “Orwell” feeling, and it definitely has truth deep inside:

Hello! Is this Gordon’s Pizza?
Google: No sir, it’s Google’s Pizza.
Did I dial the wrong number?
Google: No sir, Google bought the pizza store.
Oh, alright - then I’d like to place an order please.
Google: Okay sir, do you want the usual?
The usual? You know what my usual is?
Google: According to the caller ID, the last 15 times you’ve ordered a 12-slice with double-cheese, sausage, and thick crust.
Okay - that’s what I want this time too.
Google: May I suggest that this time you order an 8-slice with ricotta, arugula, and tomato instead?
No, I hate vegetables.
Google: But your cholesterol is not good.
How do you know?
Google: Through the subscriber’s guide. We have the results of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
Maybe so, but I don’t want the pizza you suggest – I already take medicine for high cholesterol.
Google: But you haven’t taken the medicine regularly. 4 months ago you purchased from Drugsale Network a box of only 30 tablets.
I bought more from another drugstore.
Google: It’s not showing on your credit card, sir.
I paid in cash.
Google: But according to your bank statement, you did not withdraw that much cash.
I have another source of cash.
Google: This is not showing on your last tax form unless you got it from an undeclared income source.
WHAT THE HELL? ENOUGH! I’m sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp. I’m going to an island without the internet, where there’s no cell phone line, and no one to spy on me …
Google: I understand sir, but you’ll need to renew your passport … it expired 5 weeks ago.

1 Like

i removed Firefox and chrome from all my computers long ago (6), i have better things to do than send all my info to everyone and get updates on a regular basis.

Its just preference that i like google but you guys dont need to like them so i dont think we need to debate on this, its just my preference

1 Like

@KITT

I had a similar problem with an earlier version of Linux Mint.

The solution I found was raising the cache.memory capacity.

If needed, I’ll post instructions that may help you solve your problem too but first :

1. Open Firefox and type about:config into the browser’s address bar.
  2. Can you tell me the number in the browser.cache.memory.capacity field ?