Firefox - tabs no longer movable, pops out into own window into fixed position

Two nights ago I shut down for some thunderstorms
in the area and when I started up yesterday morning I
had a odd issue with a site I visit so, I just dumped
the cache and cookies and restarted the browser.
Afterwards I noticed pretty quick I had trouble moving
tabs around. If I attempt to move any tab to the side
it automatically pops out to its own window and up to
the top left of the screen. It can not be reattached.
The only thing you can do is shut that down and
reopen it again. Yesterday was hell working because
I spent most of the day dealing with the tab situation.
Didnt realize how much I need to move stuff around.
Did quite a few searches and Im not finding much that
is of any help.

Ideas?

distro and firefox version might be helpful, but a quick option would be to purge and reinstall.

1 Like

Kubuntu 20.04
Firefox 78.0.1
Purge and reinstall is not an option at this time.

can you explain what that issue was?

1 Like

Weather channel didnt load properly, said I couldnt log in. Their forums are full of business accounts with the same issue. Your only option is to dump your cookies for their site monthly

do you have add-ons installed? if so, have you tried restarting with them disabled?

1 Like

Yes I do and yes I did.

2 Likes

have you checked in about:about? it shows some options like about:crashes, about:debugging and about:performance among others. about:support shows an option to “give firefox a tuneup”.

1 Like

Yea. I one forum someone else was talking about but there was nothing I could find that was specifically tab related. Esp to positioning. If you attempt to move the tab it pops out and immediately to the top left corner - which feels like that should be some type of setting … but…

did you try the refresh?

1 Like

I did not. Didnt want to deal with all the problems it causes doing so.

I did it - I now have all those problems.
Ill just have to move back to chrome to work for now.

Why?
You can save all your personal settings, bookmarks and so on, reinstall FF and copy them back.
See here
Unless the problem is caused by a corrupted profile (which I would highly doubt)…

1 Like

looks like 78.0.2 hit the repos today (or at least i just saw an update notification). not that an upgrade will definitely fix things, but maybe?

2 Likes

I did the refresh yesterday when I posted last. It did not fix it. It also caused a whole lot of other problems. I use OneTab for quick access to the sites I need daily for work and apparently either OT or Firefox team moved and changed the backup file for that ext and I lost all my working tabs. Looking in user/.mozilla/firefox/default/storage the ext are no longer named. Under firefox/default/extensions there is a extension@one-tab xpi but that isnt the location of the storage file. Very late last night I uninstalled completely and reinstalled and the problem is gone. Ive contacted onetab about the storage location and hopefully they will respond.

2 Likes