Firefox to be kept as SNAP or should change to DEB in Ubuntu?

Hello there!
Hope you all are doing good!

I currently uninstalled Brave and want to switch to Firefoxx to save it from dying.
As we all know that since 21.10 upgrade, the firefox snap is default on Ubuntu.

So, whould I keep it like that or should uninstall it and install the DEB version of it?

Would really like to know your opinion!

Thanks guys!

1 Like

First if you want to use Firefox on Ubuntu you will either have to stick with the Snap package which works fine after first launch or Download the .tar file from Firefox and un zip it to a folder of your choice but you will have to manually inter-grate it to the menus etc yourself. You’ll get pretty much the exact same FF either way. I don’t Believe Ubuntu going forward is going to offer the .deb file. and if you try to install a .deb file from other sources you may run into dependency problems. The .deb package in 22.04 apt repository installs the snap version of FF so in make no difference if you install either one you get the same thing. Good luck.

1 Like

But, the SNAP package does not get the icon applicable and it really disturbs the good PAPIRUS icon theme…

Well that’s the way it is Ubuntu made that choice. I’m not sure how you can inter-grate FF with the Ubuntu themes. As I’m not using ubuntu at the the moment. and Don’t use gnome much. Others will most likely know going forward. But Ubuntu and Mint for that matter have both more or less decided to allow Mozilla/ FF to maintain their package. Ubuntu via snap and Mint via an agreement with Mozilla.
Brave is a good browser and If you like it I see no reason you should switch back to FF. But one thing about Linux you have choices. There have been a few posts in different forums lately that FF is in trouble. I don’t worry too much about that they have been through that many time in their history and always find a way to survive. If you really want to help FF survive the best way would be to donate to their efforts.
Donate to Mozzilla

I just saw the installation guide on FF Official website and they suggested the .tar package, snap or flatpak. So, I will use flatpak as it will get updates quickly and icons will also be used.

Or they also recommend .deb . Will use .deb or flatpak.

Good luck I’m sure it will work out for you.
:slight_smile:

Oh ya!
First I used flatpak but the theme was messing up.
Then now I used .deb and its working good with right themes!

Thanks!!!

Deb files are the best to use anyway in my opinion, as Snaps and Flatpaks are awful. They take up too much room, take ages to download and install. Deb packages have been there since Adam was a lad, never understood Canonicals way of thinking with Snaps. AppImages are the best alternative to Deb files, as it’s an image and there already for you. All you have to do is right click it open properties, go into permissions tab and tick the box that says Allow Executing As Program
Then you can double click it and instantly the program opens. I have Clipgrab a YouTube and other site video and sound file Downloader, Kdenlive, Dolphin Nintendo GameCube Wii emulator, Open Toons, Animation program, Papagayo, for animating cartoon speech. All AppImages, they work flawlessly. Made my own scripts to add them to my Whiskermenu in Linux Mint XFCE Edition.

2 Likes

Agree completely.
A package system must be reliable
Most people at home have limited download capacity.
Firefox is 100Mb download as a deb file… hate to think what it is as a flatpak.

Neville

2 Likes

Linux Mint has the option for Flatpaks. There used to be an app called G-Radio, install it as a Deb file listen to every conceivable radio station on the net, brilliant it was. The developer decided to make a better Radio app called Shortwave, it’s a Snap and a Flatpak. The Flatpak downloads 1.5GB of other crap you don’t need. Once installed it takes up 28 odd MB, but it is all the other stuff I do not understand that it downloads, causing installation time to be extreme.

1 Like

Well, that automatically excludes a large number of home users. A 1.5Gb download for me is measured in hours.

Does anyone know which package system has the smallest download sizes?. I suspect some packaging methods compress better than others?

Neville

I guess it boils down to size of packaged file?

Yes. I might try and compare a download of say firefox for size across .deb, xbps, and eopkg. Would have to be careful to get same version of firefox.
Neville.

Another possibility that I have not seem mentioned here is the fire fox appimage. 94 MB download change the permissions and launch. Works great Does not maintain the icon theme however.
and you have to manually add it to the menu if you want. But it’s another choice.
Firefox appimages

2 Likes

Indeed it is, as the problems that will arise with Ubuntu 22.04 and already have is using Wayland display and trying to install apps that are not Wayland display compatible. Thank goodness they give you the option on the login screen after clicking your login name a cog comes up bottom right of the screen, giving you the choice to go back to X11.

Is the package system not capable of protecting you against this?
It deals with 32 bit apps that are not 64 bit compatable, so why cant it deal with wayland compatability?

Dont tell me the answer is flatpak. That is a copout.

1 Like

No stay on X11

Stay on X11 and all apps will work

1 Like

That’s a cop-out, too. :grin:

X11 is deprecated and superseded by Wayland.

2 Likes

It’s a whole different story. One thing is about re-compiling binaries (no biggie) while the other one is about extremely complex software shit(!) that has piled up over decades. X11 is terrible. It’s absolutely horrible. It’s probably one of the reasons why Linux isn’t more popular. It just works terribly in certain situations, especially compared to Windows/macOS counter-parts.

2 Likes