Friend has a laptop from 2018. Mint or Solus good suggestions?

A friend of mine has a laptop from 2018. Windows has decided to cause problems and he has asked me on advice for a distribution.

I suggested Knoppix to him for testing, and Linux Mint or Solus Linux for installing on his system. Were these wise suggestions?

I suggested Mint because it’s Ubuntu base, and Solus because they have a more recent kernel.

That makes sense to me.
The laptop is neither very old nor very recent, so I would not expect problems with any Linux.
I assume it is 64 bit?
If you friend is new to Linux, Mint is probably easiest.

Knoppix will boot on just about anything.

5 Likes

Based on the age only I would not recommend anything.
It could be an 8th gen i7, or a Celeron N…
Of course the latter performs well below the former.
I’d look at some specification, CPU, RAM, storage.

2 Likes

It’s a Lenovo Y520.

It’s then most probably based on 7th gen i7 or i5.
This is a gamingvseries, tuned for performance.
Anything you choose from Linuxes will run buttersmooth.

2 Likes

According to Lenovo documentation, the laptop has either an i5-7300 or an i7-7700 CPU and has DDR4 Ram installed.
This is a nice laptop and you should be able to run any OS on it that you want to.

4 Likes

I agree with Howard Lenovo Laptops work really well with Linux. I have a Yoga originally with Windows 8 on it. Got rid of that and to this day still got Peppermint 10 on it. I do not use it, just that it is the only computer I have with Peppermint 10 on. Now that Peppermint 10 is end of life, as it was based on Ubuntu 18.04, still nice to boot once in a while. As much as I like Linux, the changes that have happened over the past five years, nice to see Peppermint 10 for the memories. Anyway yes Lenovo Yoga Laptops are brilliant with Linux on.

2 Likes

Another recommendation for switching to Linux is Ubuntu based ZORIN OS (latest version is 16.3)
I use it on 2 very old 64bit laptops (a HP Pavilion dv6 from 2011 and a Dell Latitude E6330 from 2013 both with 4GB RAM but now with a 256GB SSD) Very pleased with both machines.

Frank in County Wicklow Ireland

3 Likes