FYI USB Purchase

I found this on ebay and took a chance, It is a usb thumb drive ( 2tb ) usb 3 for $ 8.29. It arrived today and I haven’t tested read/write yet however it shows up as 2.62 mb used and 1.90 TB free on windows, also shows up on Linux as 2.1 TB and O used. I thought someone here might file:///home/grosskloss/Pictures/Screenshot-2.png like to check it out. I will send read/write info when I get around to it. not sure if I did the pic right, hope it comes out ok. Also format is exfat

Well I guess I messed up on the pic so I will try something else if anyone has interest

• [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 1
    ](javascript::wink:
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 2
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 3
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 4
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 5
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 6
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 7
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 8
  • [
    2TB-Flash-Drive-USB-3-0-Memory-Stick-Pendrive-Disk-Metal-Key-Thumb-for-PC-Laptop thumbnail 9

Have one to sell? Sell now - Have one to sell?

Shop with confidence

Top Rated Plus

Trusted seller, fast shipping, and easy returns. Learn more - opens in new window or tab

eBay Money Back Guarantee

Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Learn more - opens in new window or tab

Seller information

colored.bubbles (3246 )

97.5% Positive feedback

Save this Seller

Contact seller

See other items

Details about 2TB Flash Drive USB 3.0 Memory Stick Pendrive Disk Metal Key Thumb for PC Laptop

Item Information

Still not what I was trying to do however maybe a little better this time

Hi @grosskloss, I saw this item on ebay also. Yes, please give us an update once you used it for a week or two. 2 TB is an awful lot of storage for less then 9 bucks. I would think a person would have to order 2 of them and use one as backup to the other one.

I’m sorry to pop your bubbles, but this is no way a stick with the proposed properties. All you have to do is write a new file random file that exceeds, let’s say 100GB (will be enough for this fake stick) to see that your data is lost beyond a couple of GB. The file will never get bigger than this size, because the stick probably has maybe 8GB or max 32GB. Even then, it might still be unreliable and prone to breaking / loss of data on the actual amount of capacity.

I am surprised that such an obvious fake product could reach some audience here.

I just checked the mentioned seller’s profile and noticed that it does not have even a single item to sell. Hmmm, I wonder why…

1 Like

Linus made a video about a similar scam with fake 1TB SD cards. Buyers beware. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

2 Likes

I did say in the beginning that I was taking a chance and to me it was worth $8.29 to take that chance.
I also said I would test it and report the results. thank you for an easy way to do that.

1 Like

That video, filled as it is with “dudespeak,” still shows you how these scams work and how to trick the device into working. Kinda.
I have been a big consumer of MP3 players over the years. After the second Chinese no-name device corrupted files randomly, I decided to stay with a known brand (SanDisk).
I think the partition idea sounds good. In this case, it is more likely 16 GB, given the price.

1 Like

I used copy and paste to transfer files to the test usb. A total of 41.2 GB so far. I chose files from documents,downloads, pictures, music, and videos. I picked random files from each to look at and they all opened and or played without a problem. Copy speed was ± about 16MB/s. I will be transferring files to this usb as time allows until it is full or breaks and report back, for now it’s well after midnight and my woman is yelling for me to come to bed.

I have a million dollars just waiting to be collected , all you have to do is send me your bank details and $200.00 to cover my expenses and you will get details sent to you -

This is more realistic IMHO -

2 Likes

Just a week ago I have watched a video how an SD card of “128GB” was not only fake, it was actually super fake. It had only an actual capacity of 512MB. These scams are ridiculous and that’s why I don’t agree that even those 8 bucks would be worth to find out. I think, it is not even a single buck worth to find out. One of their strategies is to bet on people thinking “oh well, let’s at least try it out”. That is already one part of the scam.

2 Likes

A fool and his money are soon parted. Comes to mind when I read this. Interesting that you also raised the point that just thinking it was worth the risk was part of the scam. I hadn’t thought of that, thanks for pointing out @Akito

1 Like

There is an application in Linux that will verify a memory card size and whether it’s legitimate or not. The program is f3probe. I don’t know if it works on flash drives though.

Use these two programs in this order. f3write will write large files to your mounted disk and f3read will check if the flash disk contains exactly the written files:

According to this quote, it should theoretically work with any device, as this is a very basic and onedimensional approach.

2 Likes