Garuda does it have a live version?

Just an update to this distribution.

First a caveat:

I am a bit reluctant to advertise distributions. I believe that you can hardly judge a distribution’s value just by installing and playing around a bit. In-depth knowledge comes with regular use.

This makes it very hard to make fair comparisons. With the enormous amount of distributions out there, it is very unlikely that one person can really and thoroughly know the differences between one or the other. It is obvious that every person who has settled for one has found her favourite and will therefore be somewhat biased towards it.

Now an endorsement

This said and to be kept in mind: In December, I started to use Garuda (inspired by the ItsFoss article mentioned in the previous post) and I now declare the initial testing phase to be over, and I’m still impressed by the careful and thought-through default setups, by the easiness of use and the great responsiveness, despite the fact that I’m using it on rather old hardware (10 years: MEDION® AKOYA® E7216 (MD 98550) ).

Today I found a very enthusiastic and yet quite in-depth review, highlighting the special features beyond the flashy look:

I wouldn’t probably go as far as calling it “The Next-Gen OS for 2021” (look at my caveat), but if you want to try something new, you might want to give it a try.

The last thing to mention is, that many of the developers and maintainers (a team from India, Germany, Australia, Austria, Canada …) are very active in the community forum and tend to respond very swiftly to any issues mentioned.

2 Likes