Gentoo/LXQt/with binary packages

For all the Gentoo lovers!!! Gentoo running LXQt with a W10 host. This Gentoo VM is set to and is running and using the new binary packages that Gentoo has recently adopted. Probably will not set well with the hardcore Gentoo users. The wallpaper was courtesy of EXgent, that like using high dollar flashing sports cars for wallpaper. I just wonder how much that Bugatti would cost!!!

1 Like

Bugatti cars cost from 1.9 to 12 million USD. I’m not sure which model is in the photo.

Retired and drawing SS, so I doubt you will ever see one in my driveway!!!

We need to hear more about this.
Do you still use portage to access binary packages?

What happens when you install… do you still put the profile of packages in first and the kernel afterwards?

It is all documented here https://www.gentoo.org/ and Gentoo goes Binary! – Gentoo Linux
I will say it is much easier to set binaries up on a new VM or even a hard install, I crashed two VM’s before I got it right, it is all about trust and the commands to achieve the trust, will, most times break the old Gentoo.

If Gentoo is as ugly a distro as this Bugatti, it’s time to junk them both.

Gentoo is as ugly and beautiful as you want it to be, the Bugatti, I could care less. Maybe I should have used a Pontiac GTO or a Dodge Charger, just trying something different with wallpaper, besides landscapes or just plain green.

You answered the key question. It uses portage for both binary packages and source code compiles.

Now all they need to do is a makeover of the install procedure.

Have to re-learn the Gentoo install.

That there is the Bugatti Chiron, prices start at $3,000,000.

Is that all!!! I suppose this car is made in Italy?

I am guessing all like the car but not Gentoo!!!

I like Gentoo but Cinnamon is my DE of choice. I haven’t tried to install any bin packages except Firefox. This should be good thing to get more binaries from official repo.

1 Like

Cinnamon is OK, Mate is my DE of choice, LXQt runs well, but portage will somrtimes pull in llvm and the qtwebengine to be compiled and that can take some time. Working on a hard install of Gentoo, it will have binary support from the get-go.

Nope, it is a French manufacturer!