Gentoo Quest Debian Host

I have an alias: update=‘sudo timeshift --create && sudo eix-sync && sudo emerge --ask --update --newuse --verbose --deep @world && sudo emerge --ask --verbose --depclean && sudo revdep-rebuild’

I’m missing the --with-bdeps=y and will add it. I don’t also have the one shot portage. Do you think it’s needed every update? I update appr two times a week.

Ok, will report how it went later, thanks guys!

Yes!!! emerge --sync and emerge -a --oneshot portage are very important!!! Once Gentoo has the first update, then once a week should work, but no more than that!!!

Emerge --sync is same as eix --sync I believe. But the Portage oneshot is my question. If it’s needed always I just add it to my alias.

Quick update, I removed all - flags except -systemd. Now that I tried what would happen if I emerge changed-use @world portage would build me 20 new packages and 15 reinstalls. I didn’t continue because it would build for an example “net-print/cups + cups-filters + app-admin/system-config-printer” and rebuild for an example “x11-misc/lightrdm (because of gnome not minus flag) + x11-libs/gtk+ (because cups) + net-misc/wget (ipv6)”.

So I’m adding -cups, -gnome, -kde, -ipv6 back now and maybe some day will use the package.use flags. Sorry but I don’t have the patience to go thrue all these 35 packages individually if I can just add the few global flags.

Edit: added also -wireless -dvd -bluetooth

My flags are “X elogind gtk3 gstreamer networkmanager nls -systemd -gnome -kde -ipv6 -wireless -cups -dvd -bluetooth”

So the idea behind these flags is that you do not want any
compiles to build in calls to gnome or kde libraries?
So, I guess you are using some minimal DE or maybe just a window manager, or maybe just the console?
You seem to be trying to make a small efficient Gentoo?
Is that the objective?

Neville, yes, a minimal one but I do have a DE, Cinnamon. I don’t need anything from gnome, KDE, I don’t want wireless, Bluetooth, CD/DVD functionality to any packages. That’s why I use those -flags in make.conf.

1 Like