Getting Help from the Community, please give as many details as possible on your problem

I have been catching up on things after my break as I was moving and I have noticed a trend which I am bringing to the attention of the community.
People are posting asking for help on here, which we will gladly give and we have a great depth of knowledge and experience between us all. However we can not help if we don’t fully understand the problem.
Please tell us what system you are using
Please, if you want help, describe the problem in as much detail that you can, include screenshots if possible.
Please can you describe the exact steps you have taken in as much detail as possible.
The more information you give the better the help will be.
Finally, if your problem is solved them please mark it as solved.

Thank you

4 Likes

If you’ve ever used Peppermint before, they do the same on their forum. People in life are vague and then get frustrated when nobody can help. Also if you open up your Terminal and type

inxi -Fz It will give out all the Info about what system you’re using, without giving any personal info about you. You can then copy and paste it into the forum and that’ll give everyone an understanding of what you’re running the particular OS on.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t understand this “Help” sometimes. A person asks for “help” then does not respond when more info is asked for. It’s like they don’t want to help the people that they asking help from to answer there question / problem.
And if they don’t need the help any longer they could mark it solved or just say “Oh, I fix it.”
And btw, :+1::+1:, to this forum. For this small group, there are lots of users willing to help.

1 Like

I recently helped someone on my YouTube channel, via the comments section of one of my videos, but I had to ask for more info from him, as the original question was not clear enough on what the problem actually was. It was about running his own Systemback ISO in VirtualBox and it not installing properly. He had copied it over to a thumb drive from the folder that is Root protected, instead of copying it to his home folder first. The problem that arose was that the permissions were still Root. After very long discussions to and fro we got it sorted. Another problem these days and has been in the news quite a lot is people who live in the digital age, with their mobile multimedia and browsers opening instantly and things they want to get done being finished in no time at all. (All written in one breathe.) People have become impatient and get nasty, very easily. With forums such as this one, you have to have a bit of patience, in order for people to answer you, we are not Robots though sometimes it seems like we are, where everyday life of getting up going to work coming home falling asleep in front of the box, getting woken up by your missus saying
“Wake up, it’s time to go to bed.” I’ve gotten to that age where everyday is the same old routine, but all the days meld into one long, long day. Wow did not mean to write a book, sorry about that. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Nice points Mark and well put. We aren’t robots and even Number 5 needed input so he could become Johnny Five (one of my fav films Short Circuit) and he was a robot :robot::robot:

1 Like

Hi @clatterfordslim,
What’s the name of your YouTube channel. I would like to stop by and have a look.

1 Like

:smirk:

1 Like

I now go out as slim as people were finding clatterfordslim a mouthful whenever I was mentioned in a live stream or something. You can still reach my channel as clatterfordslim though. Or my other channel which has only just started Linuxy Linux. Waiting to get some time off work to actually get some content done. Though done a live stream the other day, but the sound quality was pretty awful, so re uploaded it with clearer sound. I’m live streaming Resident Evil 2 Remake through Peppermint tomorrow 11am British Time. I’ve had my channel since 2017 and have only got 205 or so subs, but I do my channel for the love of Linux. I’m a user of Linux not a programmer and just try to share my experiences over the years on Linux.

He certainly did need input, next time you watch that film count how many times he says
“Input.” Including the extra extended ones “Inpuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.” I wonder if the guy or girl who invented that word, still gets royalties?