Getting SCANNER function on Xerox 3220 multi-function printer

One of the non-joys of scavenged hardware is getting it to work… I have gotten a Xerox WorkCentre 3220 multi-function laser printer / scanner / fax / copier. I have it connected to my home network via an ethernet cable, and both PC’s I’ve tried it with are able to see the machine, and print to it. There is a browser interface which works fine so I know the connections are OK.

I have also used it as a copier, so no issues with the scanner hardware in the machine.

However I can’t get the scanner to work so that I can turn paper documents into pdf’s or other files…

According to the documentation the machine is supposed to be ‘SANE’ capable but none of the scanner programs I’ve tried, including Xsane, Simple Scan, gscan2pdf find the scanner. I’ve done ‘sane-find-scanner’ and ‘scanimage -L’ as both regular user and root in Konsole, and nothing showed up. However those seemed to only be looking for USB and SCSI attached scanners judging from the output - no mention of looking at networks.

Searching the Xerox support site I found what was described as a print and scanner driver package for Linux, as a zip file with no installation instructions… I tried running some of the executables that looked likely and one seemed to install something, I got the following output

sudo ~/Downloads/PCs/printers/xerox-3220/sw-inst/media/XEROX_MFP/Linux/install.sh
libstdc++.so.5 (gcc 3.0.x .. 3.3.x) not found, install ... done
libtiff.so.3 not found, install ... done
****  It seems Qt library is not installed, or X display is not accessible.
****  Custom Qt library will be configured for use with this package.
GUI mode installer execution failed, proceeding in text mode
****  Running text mode install
****  Press Enter to continue or q and then Enter to quit: 

**** Non-priviliged users found:
nobody atorrey systemd-coredump
****  Are you going to use USB-connected devices ?
****  If yes, users allowed to scan or manage printers should be added to lp
****  group. The list of non-privileged users proposed for addition is shown above.
****  Press y and then Enter to add users or Enter to leave lp group intact: y

****  Print drivers for the following device models available:
fc2218 pe120 pe220 ph3117 ph3200 ph3250 ph3250spl ph3300 ph3435 ph3600 ph6110 wc3210 wc3220 wc4118
****  Please enter model to install and press Enter: wc3220
INFO: Restarting udev ...
udevadm [--help] [--version] [--debug] COMMAND [COMMAND OPTIONS]

Send control commands or test the device manager.

Commands:
  info          Query sysfs or the udev database
  trigger       Request events from the kernel
  settle        Wait for pending udev events
  control       Control the udev daemon
  monitor       Listen to kernel and udev events
  test          Test an event run
  test-builtin  Test a built-in command

See the udevadm(8) man page for details.
control: unrecognized option '--reload_rules'
INFO: Installing MFP port and SANE backend libraries ...
cat: /etc/modprobe.conf: No such file or directory
INFO: Installing GUI lpr ...
INFO: Fixing file ownership and permissions ...
INFO: Registering SANE backend ...
INFO: Registering CUPS printer ...
[ ok ] Restarting cups (via systemctl): cups.service.
INFO: CUPS restart OK
lpadmin: Bad device-uri scheme "mfp".
lpadmin: The printer or class does not exist.
lpadmin: The printer or class does not exist.
INFO: Creating menu entries ...
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/proc/Desktop’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/proc/Desktop': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/proc/Desktop': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/proc/.gnome-desktop’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/proc/.gnome-desktop': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/proc/.gnome-desktop': No such file or directory
/opt/Xerox/PSU/share/en
INF0: psu (ver.2.00.15) has been installed successfully in /opt/Xerox/PSU
INF0: phonebook (ver.2.00.15) has been installed successfully in /opt/Xerox/PhoneBook/
INF0: emailbook (ver.2.00.15) has been installed successfully in /opt/Xerox/EmailBook/
libstdc++.so.5 (gcc 3.0.x .. 3.3.x) not found, intstall ... done
INF0: Shutting down psulauncher: 
awk: line 1: missing ) near end of line
awk: line 2: missing } near end of file
INF0: psulauncher (ver.2.00.25.02) has been installed successfully in /opt/Xerox/PSULauncher
INFO: Starting psulauncher ...
INFO: Adding users to lp group ...
/opt/Xerox/PSULauncher/bin/psulauncher: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
INFO: Finishing installation ...
****  Text mode install finished

I got a new set of entries for the printer in the KDE launch menu, (a ‘confiurator’, an uninstall, and a help system) but none of them do anything. I looked in the launch editor and the entries pointed to files in /opt/Xerox/mfp/bin. Those files exist and have the right permissions, but don’t run when I try to double click on them. When I try to run the configurator in Konsole I get an error message

Blockquote/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin/Configurator: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

I’m more than a bit stumped as to what to do next?

Take a look here:

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork

That looks interesting and I will probably try some of the stuff in it.

The only thing I’m not sure about is that they seem mostly to be talking abut how to get a scanner / MFP connected by USB to one machine talking to the others on the network. This isn’t the same as what I have which is an MFP connected directly to the network. But they have stuff in there I haven’t tried, so nothing to lose…

ex-Gooserider

Bringing this back up… I tried everything that seemed relevant in the link that Kgwoo sent, with no luck… I finally called Xerox tech support, and basically was told that the drivers in that package were for REALLY old distros, and that they weren’t updating them.

The only options the tech I talked to said were available were to either use the ‘scan to e-mail’ function, or the ‘scan to USB-stick’ capability, both of which can only be done from the control panel on the machine… This is a major pain for two reasons - where the machine is in my office, and because I’m a wheelchair user, I can’t easily see the display to see what prompts I’m getting…

When I ran the install program I got some entries in the KDE menu, but they didn’t do anything. When I went to the directory that was pointed at by the menu entries, I found the files were there, but I get errors trying to run them…

@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ls -al
total 4232
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Oct 17 19:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root    4096 Oct 17 19:19 ..
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root   88624 Mar 30  2009 Configurator
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root  683400 Mar 30  2009 ImageManager
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1332716 Mar 30  2009 netdiscovery
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root  533240 Mar 30  2009 printeradd
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root  291224 Mar 30  2009 printertest
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root  379280 Mar 30  2009 shhv
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  634584 Mar 30  2009 slpr
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root  368120 Mar 30  2009 smfpscan
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./Configurator 
./Configurator: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./ImageManager 
./ImageManager: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./netdiscovery 
sh: 1: /sbin/ifconfig: not found
# Network printers discovery utility
# Legend: ip: address slp: detected,ipp,lpr,raw_tcp snmp: detected,devtype,description
ip: 10.0.0.160      slp: 0,0,0,0 snmp: 0,0,0 dsc: "Xerox WorkCentre 3220 [XRX0000AACD1F26]"
# Total 1 printers found, 5s elapsed
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./printeradd
./printeradd: error while loading shared libraries: libmfp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./printertest
./printertest: error while loading shared libraries: libmfp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./shhv
./shhv: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./slpr 
./slpr: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
@coolbox:/opt/Xerox/mfp/bin$ ./smfpscan 
./smfpscan: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

I have a vague memory about ELF being the old way of doing executables but not sure what it was about…

I’m wondering if there is any way of getting this stuff to run by adding some sort of extra libraries or ???

ex-Gooserider

I read somewhere:

Not sure, if this helps for you, though…