Glorious unix beards

Alright guys, everyone fess up … where are y’all at on the unix beard scale?

@Doron_Beit-Halahmi ,
What about balancing that out with some female Unix
talent?

1 Like

http://rachelbythebay.com/

if you can, read both her books. She’s an amazing sysadmin/programmer.

Also SysAdmin1138 Explains

Her name is Jamie Riedesel … another amazing sysadmin

And she’s not unix, but GirlGerms from Australia on the reddit /r/sysadmin forum is really good at security type stuff in the Windows space. She’s working at Microsoft last I heard.

@Doron_Beit-Halahmi ,
We need some pioneers
Here is a start
Ada Lovelace
Grace Hopper
Margaret Hamilton

they all predate Unix
where are the female Unix or open source pioneers?

They seem rather rare. Is/was Unix really a man’s world?

COBOL for the win!

I use an electric razor every day. No beard here.

I’ve pretty much had a beard last 20+ years - not necessarily a UNIX thing - was a biker (still “own” a non-running Harley)…

Decided to shave it all off 2 years ago - but I couldn’t stand it (the look), when I was in my 20’s and 30’s I had a chin, but it’s receded… That’s the ONLY time I’ve shaved my chin in about 13 years… probably won’t ever do it again… Time before that (2011) was as a “favour” to an anaesthetist (because he asked nicely) when I was undergoing fairly major surgery (hemi-colectomy for bowel cancer - touch wood no recurrence).

Anyway - it’s now about 7-8 inches long (yeah I should use metric, I always have trouble remembering how tall I am in metric, but never forget I’m 6’4" in the old scale) in two years of not shaving…

I just wish the top of my scone was equally prolific - but it’s not - so I actually shave my head clean and compensate with facial hair…

My beard tends to “fork” - like Sveyn Forkbeard (Viking king) - so I do sometimes use ‘product’ to stop it forking and when I’m out riding (not the Harley these days - either my e-bike or my e-scooter) I put a hair elastic on it to bind my beard to a point… It’s nearly all silver - with a few streaks of blond…

And where are you?

Quite a few women were pioneers of early electronic music - can’t remember the names I guess I should - one of them wrote / performed the Dr Who theme music…

And don’t forget some of those earliest programmers for the USAF during and after WW2 - mostly all women…

and let’s not forget Rosalind Franklin, who was instrumental in unlocking the secrets of DNA, but was overlooked for the Nobel prize in favour of 3 men, Crick, Watson and Wilkins…

2 Likes

I seem to remember women in the UK during WW2 who did
decoding of encrypted messages.?

and Margaret Hamilton… programmed for the Apollo mission.

It used to be traditional… women in the data processing department. We had some at csiro who programmed
punch card machines with plugboards. You havent
lived till you have seen someone doing sums of squares
on a tabulator… no arithmetic units… it did multiplication by repeated addition. Those ladies were clever and dedicated.

2 Likes

Yeah - besides Allan Turing, Bletchley Park was staffed mostly by women…

2 Likes

1 Like