Grub-Customizer not working after Upgrading to Ubuntu 23.1

I successfully upgraded from 23.04 to 23.1 and so far so good except for Grub-Customizer.

It will launch but apparently it cannot function. I am totally grub ignorant so I am hoping that someone can provide a fix. The only information I have to share are the 2 screen shots below.

Screenshot from 2023-11-06 18-12-41

Grub-customiser does not have a good reputation. It can cause a great deal of confusion, and may irreversably damage your software setup.
I recommend you get rid of it, and learn how to use grub directly. It is not all that difficult to use grub just to boot one OS. The installer will set grub up for you, as you have just found with your new Ubuntu install.
There are grub tutorials.

3 Likes

@KenS

1 Like

Many thanks for your sage advice. I wish I had known this earlier. Thankfully everything still works. I will search for some.grub modification tutorials; if you know of any good ones, please share with me.

Regards,
Ken S

1 Like

I can get rid of Grub-customizer and dependencies with Synaptic, since it no longer is able to do any modifications but wondering; if I should “leave sleeping dogs lie”???

My dilemma is that I would think that with the choices that I made relative to grub settings and obsolete software, etc, during the upgrade that settings made by grub-customizer were removed (It appears so from the new boot menu) but don’t know if it would be safe to uninstall grub-customizer.

I would clean it up. Unwanted packages can cause upgrade difficulties if left in the system… particularly ones that are PPA’s

IMG_6225

That is the official documentation… it is hard to read.

That is very readable

I have a printed article on grub. Will see if I can find it and
scan it .

2 Likes