Has anyone tried Linux Mint 20.1?

This thread is so far over my head I couldn’t see it with the Hubble.
I am using Mint Cinnamon 20.1.
A quick duckduckgo showed libqt5gui5-gles Vivante graphics requirements and leftover dependencies with libqt5gui5 and even more flyover my head stuff.
If I’m WAAAAYYYY off I apologize profusely.

1 Like

Have reinstalled fresh from ISO XFCE version and it is running beautifully. Instead of upgrading through Update Manager, nothing wrong with doing that I highly recommend fresh install from ISO. Backup your data first if you have any to backup?

It looks like we have/share the same problem @7blade
When I asked Dmitry Shachnev at ubuntu.com
he said :
I don’t know because I don’t use synaptic. Do not install the package and ignore the recommendation.

i have Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” MATE on one machine and Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Cinnamon on another, both work great no problems (upgraded), i loaded Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Xfce on another of my machines but i removed it, i just cant get into Xfce , just to many things i don’t like but i gave it my best shot for a few days but no…

1 Like

What is it that you did not like in XCFE @geodude ?

After looking at the opinions and experiences on this thread, I’d probably advise Mint 20.1 as an ideal Linux distro for introducing new folks. Works first time, every time. The hot recommendation seems to be Trisquel, but that seems to be stuck firmly in 2009.

2 Likes

I hope that this will not be thought a new thread, as it is in response to the question raised. I upgraded to LM 20.1, without any difficulty, and it has worked as well as LM20. I thought all was well, but I have since discovered that most of my files in PCloud have disappeared, and I have been unable to retrieve them. I am told by PCloud that I ought to have unlinked their site before downloading, but that warning is a bit late. I can’t be certain that there is a connection with 20.1, but that download, along with subsequent suggested updates, has been the only change I have made. Disastrous result, whatever the cause.

I’m using Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1. I installed it about 3 weeks ago on an older Dell Windows 7 Home PC whose hard drive I had first wiped with DBAN. That PC had been sitting in a corner after we got a “new” refurbished Windows 10 Pro PC a year-and-a-half ago. The older PC has a 1TB hard drive, 8 GB of RAM and a 4th-generation i5 CPU.

I installed VirtualBox and set up a Virtual Machine (VM) into which I installed Windows 10. The Windows 10 installation process accepted our Windows 7 Home registration code and allowed me to go ahead and put Windows 10 Home on the VM. I also installed a licensed copy of Microsoft 365 on the VM.

If you’re going from Windows to Linux, Linux Mint is a smooth transition since the desktop looks familiar and there’s even a “Start” button. My wife uses the computer mostly for Internet and email so it’s perfect for that. We both use Thunderbird on our main Windows 10 Pro PC also so no problem there. We even get to use KeePass XC on the Linux PC since the KeePass (which we use on our main PC) database file format is the same for both programs.

I installed the 20.1 iso on my main system about a week ago. Works well! It was on my house network all on its own :+1: Not too many sharp edges encountered so far.

guys pls see my post : )

Been using it for months now the XFCE version, no gripes whatsoever. Currently downloading Linux Mint 20.04.2 Uma XFCE edition. Love XFCE environment, nice and light.

1 Like

I don’t like the DE of Xfce either @geodude. My solution when I was testing Xubuntu was to install Nemo which is the DE for Linux Cinnamon. Encounter no problems with the install / usage.

Thanks @ljohn for sharing your experience. I use Pcloud too. I only use the free storage amount and I back it at least weekly.