Has anyone tried Linux Mint 20.1?

Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” MATE released!
Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Cinnamon released!
Linux Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” Xfce released!

Has anyone tried the latest version of Mint ?

Hi Roger,
Today (01/09), I upgraded to Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1. The upgrade itself went very smooth asking only to re-boot at end of the upgrade. I was at LM 20.
After the upgrade, there were 20 some patches that included another kernel update. I also applied all the patched, re-booted, and now my system to “Up-to-Date”.
So I have not used 20.1 much, but everything so far is working fine.
Howard

@easyt50
Howard,
did you apply the ‘apt install usrmerge’ command after updating ?
Thank you for answering my newbe questions.

p.s. I had used “<>” and the command disapeared.

@R_G, thanks for the question, for I did not know about it. Maybe I missed it during the update. I just perform the upgrade thru the Update Manager . I see at
How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.1 – The Linux Mint Blog” that doing the command is optional, but it is recommended. Now knowing this, I will perform a Timeshift snap shot of the system and execute the command.

Here is where I saw the command

4. Convert the system with usrmerge (optional)

Although it is optional we recommend you convert your system with usrmerge. This is done already for all fresh installations of Linux Mint 20.1.

For information on usrmerge, read https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/.

To convert your system, open a terminal and type:

apt install usrmerge

Hi Roger, I just gave you a “happy or laughing” face b/c you replied with what I just reply to you. No rudeness intended.
blog.linuxmint.com = blog.linuxmint.com

Good luck with Linux Mint.

1 Like

It certainly looks like I did nor read your message in its entirety dear @easyt50.
My bad.
:confounded:

No problem Roger. Been there, done that.
What Linux Mint are you planning or working on?

Using 20.1 here did a fresh install though that wasn’t really needed. But wanted a fresh slate. Works great so far no problems.
Would recommend it to anyone wanting a great desktop Distro.

2 Likes

@easyt50
Using 20.1 now and probably until 2025 if I trust what they say : ‘Linux Mint 20.1 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2025.’ :smile:

1 Like

It was time for a house cleaning, so I flushed all the debris, copied anything important to the data storage area, and did a fresh install of 20.1 XFCE. After a few steps re-installing my necessary programs, I installed the Cinnamon desktop (should have done it at first) and recaptured the hidden driver for my Canon MF4400 printer. Everything seems clean, tight, and quick.

1 Like

@R_G, Yes Roger, a LTS version of Linux means that it is Long Term Support. Here is a list of the different releases of Linux Mint and the expire date.

| Release | Name | LTS | Supported Until
|…20… .| | Ulyana | yes | April 2025
|…19 … | | Tara … | yes | April 2023
|…18 … | | Sarah . | yes | April 2021

So even if someone was on release 18.1, 18.2, or 18.3 they would still have support until this April. But it is always nice to be on the latest release.

1 Like

Hello Roger
Yes on it now as I type, updated through their update manager. Did not back up though, as there is nothing on my computers to backup. I don’t keep anything important on them, always stuff I need to keep is saved to another drive or to my Dropbox.

All you have to do is make sure your update mirror is set to Linux Mint. I use XFCE edition and it took five minutes to upgrade. Now using XFCE 4.16 with a scale mode in display. Doing it through Update Manager isn’t really that good, as it’s not the same as installing properly from the ISO. At least from a ISO you are guaranteed to have that version fully, where as doing it from Update Manager it’s just removing and updating the old name from Ulyana to Ulyssa and updating some Apps. We have Hypnotix for watching online TV, upgraded Xed text editor and other bits of software. Although XFCE is fully GTK3 and XFCE are no longer supposedly, not supporting GTK2 anymore, my GTK2 Smooth theme works like a charm. I must update my Sardi-Ghost-Flexible icon theme though, as some of the icons have turned to something else.

I’m going to do a proper install from ISO, as I’m sure I’m not getting the full upgrade. Though so far over the moon with it.

1 Like

Thank you for the follow up.
I do not watch television but my wife does so, I’ll see if the BETA version of Hypnotix can get the Canadian stations she likes.

Roger
p.s. When I as younger, I said ‘Are you in the moon ?’ to an older woman that was looking at the horizon over the shore of a lake.

She was flabbergasted and told me no to repeat that.
When I asked :innocent: why, she explained that she had heard me say ‘Are you in the mood ?’ :blush:

1 Like

No worries, I was wrong about the XFCE 4.16 being with Linux Mint. for future reference though I installed it through Xubuntu’s PPA and it works very well indeed. The Display scaling is weird as you go up from 1x it gets smaller, so I just keep it at 1x. Must be because I’m using 2560x1440p display? The PPA below is for XFCE 4.16, it is still in development, that’s why Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa has not added it yet, but it works very well indeed.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/staging
sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade

After that there will be another update that pops up in the update manager. Install it then reboot and everything will be ticketty boo.

It looks like we are not many itsfoss members using Mint 20.

But for the six of us here are two questions :

In Synaptic, there are two packets left in the missing packets categoyy.

Question 1
Do you undestand why gnome-software-plugin-snap stays in the missing category in synaptic ?

When I try to install it, I get this messages in synaptic :

gnome-software-plugin-snap:
Dépend: snapd but it is not installable

Question 2

Do yo know why libqt5gui5 is uninstalled when libqt5gui5-gles is installed ?

And vice versa ?

Regards,

Mint Team has made a choice not to include snap in their default install. It can be installed by following the post here How to install snap on mint 20+

Though I would advise against it.
#2 Don’t know.

2 Likes

Probably because each type is compatible with a unique implementation of a firmware or something related. That’s usually why such libraries are replacing each other, instead of being available side by side. So either need one or the other. You never need both.

I understand why we (Clem Lefebvre) don’t want it.
But my question remains :smiley:Why is it stuck in the list of missing packets ?

Is it because I updated from an older Mint version ?

Then why can’t I uninstall the one stuck in the missing category ?

To me it looks like those debris newly married get on their car’s tail pipe … :poop:
it makes noise and it is not elegant.