HatDrive! for Raspberry Pi 5

Hi,
Not wanting to advertise the brand, I found this HAT for using NVMe on the Raspberry Pi 5 and wanted to share it with you:

There are 2 options:

• HatDrive! Top for NVMe 2230, 2242 GEN 3
  • HatDrive! Bottom for NVMe 2230, 2242, 2280 GEN 3

Jorge

4 Likes

Well I have to admit I dont know.
What is a hatdrive?

“hat” is what an adaptor is that fits atop the GPIO pins on a RPi… Most of the other SBC vendors also have GPIO breakout pins too…

I have several RPi - and - several “hats”… The main one I use is a TVTuner on a RPi3 that runs TVHeadend (TVHeadend doesn’t properly support anything after Stretch - so that’s what I run on it)… I have a UPS hat on a Pi4 so it can survive losing power, I have 2x ARGON RPi4 fan/chassis combos on my other Pi4 systems…

I have a BeepBerry “chassis” which is a screen and BlackBerry keyboard and a battery - it’s a bit more than a hat, but it uses the GPIO pins on my Pi Zero 2W - so - it’s a “hat” - if a very large one, compared to the credit card size form factor of the Pi Zero W and Zero 2W…

2 Likes

Hi Neville,
Sorry, I should have been more specific in my topic, but it’s a term often used in Raspberry Pi and Arduino.
HAT means hardware attached on top.

These are printed circuit boards, with electronic circuits, that work as peripherals and, but in this specific case, they made HAT for an NVMe which is something the Raspberry doesn’t have.

The Raspberry has a set of metal pins on one side called headers.

This is the link to the headers pinout pinouts.

And the Raspberry 5 has a connector for a PCI Express interface:

Image from raspberrypi.com

HATDrive! is the commercial name the company has given to its HAT who is connected to the 40-pin serial headers and also with an apartment cable to the PCI EXPRESS interface.

For example, this is a Voltage measurement DAQ (Data Aquisition) from Digilant when you can see the HAT plugged into raspberry:

Image from Digilant

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your reply to Neville.
I only replied too because the post was almost finished.

Jorge

2 Likes

@daniel.m.tripp
@Tech_JA
Many thanks to both of you.
I need to get started one day with RPi… missing a lot of fun.

1 Like