Help installing Ventoy

can you try with /dev/sdb instead of sdb1?

Thanks @01101111. That was it!
What’s the old saying “I couldn’t see forest for the trees.” :joy: or something like that.

Spoke too soon, stuck again. Now getting…

Create partitions on /dev/sdb by parted in MBR style …
Done
mkfs on disk partitions …
create efi fat fs /dev/sdb2 …
mkfs.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
success
mkexfatfs 1.3.0
Creating… done.
Flushing… done.
File system created successfully.
writing data to disk …
sync data …
esp partition processing …
mount: /home/easyt50/Downloads/Ventoy/tmp_mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
mount: /home/easyt50/Downloads/Ventoy/tmp_mnt: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
mv: cannot stat ‘./tmp_mnt/EFI/BOOT/grubx64_real.efi’: No such file or directory
umount: ./tmp_mnt: not mounted.

Install Ventoy to /dev/sdb successfully finished.

Here is where terminal is sitting at; easyt50@X220:~/Downloads/Ventoy$

1 Like

that’s a bit of a mixed bag with “error, error, error” followed by “successfully finished”. i haven’t used ventoy yet myself. i will look at the install instructions, but if i were trying to use it i would try installing it at least one more time to see if for whatever reason that run was just problematic.

edit: if run 2 failed, i would try a different usb drive just in case that first one is going bad.

Hi, Good suggestion. Try another flash drive and I got it to work. Thanks.
The “bad” flash was a 32GB no name brand. Ventop worked with a SanDisk 32GB.

I loaded 7 iso’s onto one flash and still had room. Not all of the OS’s were current, but ones I has d/l’ed over the past 6 months.
5 iso’s booted and 2 did not.
Linux - Lite 4.6 and Feren did not boot.
Zorin Lite 15.1, Puppy 8.0, Peppermint 10, MX-19, and Elementary 5.1 all booted just fine.

i had read that ventoy only worked with certain iso’s or distros. there is a list here: https://www.ventoy.net/en/isolist.html. i have no idea how current it is or is not. just passing along word of its existence. it does say that linux lite (version 4.2 tested) wouldn’t work in a uefi setup.

1 Like