How can I have 2 monitors, but only one of them has an image during grub and boot up to LightDM?

Hi,
I know it’s a strange question, but I’ve installed 2 monitors vertically and the top monitor is inverted. I’ve already changed LighDM to have the monitors with the correct image and I’ve chosen the main monitor, but I don’t know how to change grub to have one of the monitors with an inverted image, so that during grub and boot, the monitor shows the correct image or, in the last case, the inverted monitor has no image and only does when you switch to LightDM.
I know that the boot time is minimal and this modification unnecessary, but I’d like to know if it’s possible to change it.
I’ve been reading about grub, but I can’t find how to use 2 monitors in grub and even invert one of them or that one of them has no image. All I’ve found is that “it’s not possible”.
This is the installation I have and the current grub and boot image:

Do any of you know how to fix it?

Placing the monitor physically inverted in the correct position is not a solution for me.

Thanks in advance for your help

Jorge

Hi Jorge,
The display of the grub menu is, I think, done my the primitive
VGA driver in the BIOS. It is only when Linux boots that the graphic display drivers ( including dual monitor controls) become active.
So I am afraid it might indeed be impossible or very difficult.
Does it really matter for grub? You should be able to fix it
once linux boots.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Hi Neville,
Thanks for your reply.

For grub it’s not very important, but for the boot, it makes me a bit confused, but as I said, the boot time is minimal, it was just putting the monitors with the correct image from the start.
I’m going to forget about grub and just keep looking at how to invert the boot image.

Thanks
Jorge

Well, I think I’ve found a clue: I was just connecting to the graphics, LightDM and Desktop, but I’ve just discovered that the virtual consoles are still reversed.
Looks like I’ll have to study up on fbcon (framebuffer console).

I’ll let you know if I can find a solution

Thanks

Jorge

1 Like

Hi @Tech_JA

I see this can be annoying, but looking from here it actually looks cool…
:slight_smile:

If you enter BIOS/UEFI do you get that rotated picture there too?

1 Like

Hi László,
I honestly didn’t care much, because it was cool, but now look what I’ve discovered, an example of the top command:

It’s a graphics card with HDMI and DVI output and I can’t find anything in the UEFI that can modify each PCIe video output

Thanks
Jorge

I meant the picture of the bios itself. Is it 180 degree rotated too?

2 Likes

Not in the bios
Somewhere in X11… xorg.conf or xrandr or …
You should be able to rotate a graphics screen from linux.

1 Like

Neville,
And only the graphical part, i.e. the virtual terminals not use X11, correct?
I’m using xrandr to invert display in LightDM

Thanks

Jorge

László,
The bios info is 180º rotated too but in thus case I believe this is normal

Thanks

Jorge

Neville,
This is my login screen (LightDM):

• The bottom monitor is set to primary;
  • The image of the top monitor is correct, because I inverted it with xrandr, because the monitor is physically inverted.

and I’m using the following command:

xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --primary --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x1080 --rotate normal --output DVI-D-0 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate inverted --output VGA-0 --off

I followed the following tutorial to run it automatically:
[TUTORIAL] Make Log in Screen (LightDM) use same Display Properties as When Logged in

But when I change to virtual console, for example, pressing CTRL+ALT+F1, I still have the top image without correction, i.e., xrandr is only for the graphics part:

Thanks
Jorge

László,
this is the UEFI image, where you can see that it is inverted, but as I mentioned above, it is normal, because the top monitor is physically inverted:

Thanks
Jorge

Correct.
I dont think the alphanumeric console is controllable

1 Like

Oh, I understand now.
I did not read it carefully before, I thought there’s some problem with the graphics card.
My bad.
In this case the correct way to adapt is to use display rotation within X11 (set up via xrandr as you did).
For the console I found the fbcon configuration, which you already found as well.

1 Like

Laszlo has corrected me there.

Are you able to tell us…
What is the purpose of this fascinating arrangement?

1 Like

I use 2 monitors too, because my everyday task does not fit on one…
I guess @Tech_JA is in the same boat, he needs the screen surface.
I have my monitors in a side by side (quite trivial) setup.
I think the problem is that he has the upper monitor 180 degree rotated, which is impossible to rotate back (why?).

As I digged more into the question the fbcon solution doesn’t work either.
As I understand it will rotate the the console, but for all outputs, so the upper monitor gets normal, but at the same time the lower gets upside-down.

I’d try my best to make both monitors to have the same orientation.

1 Like

Hi Neville,
I don’t know if your question refers to placing the monitors vertically or placing the top monitor upside down, so I’ll answer both possible questions:

• Installing the 2 monitors vertically: because I don’t have space to place them horizontally, as László mentioned having his monitors

• why I installed the top screen upside down: if I put it in the normal position, I wouldn’t have access to the keys, but the worst thing for me is that the bottom of the bezel creates a larger screen space than if it were upside down.

Thanks
Jorge

1 Like

Hi László,
That will be the possible solution, but I haven’t given up yet…

Thanks
Jorge

@Tech_JA
Do you have desk space for smaller side by side monitors?

1 Like

Maybe you don’t even need them…
:wink:

Chances are you can adjust the features via DDC, like I did with the backlight on my 2 monitors.

1 Like