How Do I Get My Printer/Scanner Up and Running On My Laptop With Ubuntu 18.10 OS

Have just installed Ubuntu 18.10 on my Desktop and Laptop three weeks ago … my printer/scanner is a Canon Pixma MX 920 . Got the printer/scanner working properly on my desktop, which is hardwired (Ethernet Cable) and the printer is connected via USB cable … but, have not been able to get my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 3565) to pick up the printer/scanner - My Laptop, of course, is working off of my WiFi - How do I get this accomplished? I am an ex-Windows 10 user and all this is new … appreciate any help on this … thank you -

Hud

This Ask Ubuntu thread should be of help with your printer.

kc1di: Thank you for your help … the thread looks to be what I need … much appreciated -

Hud

kc1di: I did as instructed and my Terminal said, “No such file or directory … cannot open”

Hud

Just go to the file you downloaded and right click and open with archive manager and extract it using that. Then navigate to where the file was extracted with the terminal and run the command again. If you have extracted it with the terminal the use the terminal and navigate to where it is located. You must be in the correct folder where the file is located for it to install. Good Luck.

kc1di: Hate to keep bothering you with this … the printer has been added and is showing to be the default printer; however, when I try to print it says: “Printer rejecting jobs” and of course will not print -

Hud

I no longer have the Cannon printer here so not sure I remember. But seems like there is a setting somewhere that says something like start printer or send to printer something like that, But like I said it’s been a while since I use that printer. May be someone here will know.

I now have only HP’s and on mine there is a control panel that says start print job.
Though that is the default setting sometimes I have to hit that to get a doc to print.
You’ll just have to look around and make sure the printer is not set on standby.
sorry I can’t be of more help on that.

kc1di: Thank you for responding - As mentioned I am showing the printer and its status reads “Ready” … but, when I try to print it tells me “Printer is Rejecting Jobs” - I went to the Printer Settings and it shows the printer to be the “Default” printer - I then clicked the “Details” button and clicked “Find Drivers” … my response is “No Suitable Drivers Found” - So, I guess in my ignorance, I do not have the drivers needed -

This situation is not critical mass, for I have the ability to print and scan using my desktop … this laptop is just for times I am not around my desktop and it would be nice to have this working -

Again, thank you for your time and help -

Hud

Hud a bit late on this. Have you tried to just add a printer on your laptop. I know I had to do this on Mint as although it detected and installed when I installed Mint, it did not add everything. When I did this, it correctly installed everything.

ElectricDandySlider: Yes … I clicked the “Add Printer” button and that is when it acknowledged the printer … I then set it as the default and removed the “Cups Printer” and tried to print … but, as I have mentioned, it will not, and tells me “Rejecting …” - So, I guess I will just have to continue messing with it and maybe get lucky -
Thank you for responding -

Hud

Okay, let us know how you get on and if you manage to solve it, please let us know how you do so. This will help others if they have the same problem. Oh and when you do will you mark it solved. :grinning:

If the printer is on WiFi and on line then the following should just work

If the printer is shared with a cable from some devices and WiFi from others then yes it will reject a job as it is lost as to who has control better to have all on WiFi or all on cable

callpaul.eu: Thank you … I was wondering about that … being the printer is connected to my desktop with a USB cable it is not, I guess, considered to be on line via WiFi … thus, my laptop and printer cannot communicate … correct me if I am mistaken here in my thinking -

Hud

I have the same printer connected to my desktop running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. For CUPS to work, the USB cable needed to be connected, I also have the printer connected to my router by Ethernet using a static IP. I got fed up with this, so opted for TurboPrint to control the Canon MX926 MFP. This program cost me $64 AUD for a license and this action solved the issue quickly and easily with the printer responding to any PC via the Ethernet - Router setup. The site is http://www.turboprint.info/ Oh, and a link to a screenshot of it. https://i.imgur.com/JxdOE2b.png

1 Like

I’m not sure this has anything to do with your case, but neither am I sure it doesn’t, so strictly for what it’s worth: I spent days trying to get my Xerox Phaser 3010 printer (which had been a simple plug-and-play under Windows) to work with my two Linux computers, one running Ubuntu 16.04 and the other Linux Mint 19.1, and after many things that failed, the advice on this page worked. Different printers want different things, so this may not work on a Canon, but I’d give it a go.

wfallen: Thank you … will go to these links … appreciate your input -

Hud

iad58g: Thank you … will take a look … these marvelous machines can be frustrating at times -

Hud

Problem solved - Taking wfallen advice, I installed TurboPrint Linux and it works great - This package will cost me approximately $70.00 US for the License … which is fine - They have a 30 day free trial period, which I am taking advantage of - Thanks to everyone for your input and assistance -

Hud

1 Like

Glad you found a solution, Sorry it cost 70 bucks though.

1 Like

kc1di Well you know, I guess I could have kept tinkering with it and maybe solved the problem someday, but I needed to get on to other agendas … plus, I am really impressed with this TurboPrint package … I think I am going to install on my Desktop also - The $70 price allows for three devices … might-as-well use it -

Again, thank you so much for your time and input -

Hud

1 Like