How to add a kernel module

No problem, I can debunk this idea with a single software example.

IntelliJ IDEA (Ultimate)

Boom. Burned. Debunked.

Even the best open source alternatives, which have been developed for decades are an utter joke compared to IntelliJ IDEA. Eclipse is one of the most famous ones, with so many years of development. It’s a veteran.
Still, comparing Eclipse to IntelliJ IDEA is like comparing a child falling off a cliff, breaking all bones, to Superman, when comparing how well people can fly.

One swallow does not make a Summer

It does, when you say

Which is an absolute statement. It’s usually easy to debunk absolute statements. However, my example is still not fringe either, because we are not talking about some niché weirdo software, but about a Java IDE. Java is one of the most popular languages in the entire world, since decades. So, taking this piece of software as an example is perfectly valid, because there are probably millions of people around the globe who work with Java or one of its derivatives. Which means, there are so many people depending on a software solution to develop in Java, which is extremely important, because Java is so bloated, you basically cannot program in Java without an IDE.

I already explained why my example was perfectly valid and sufficient. Still, it’s so easy to give examples on how your statement is wrong, that I can give another example. No problem.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/excel

The best Spreadsheet open source alternative I know of is currently LibreOffice Calc. This is the best I know. (Tell me if you know a better one…)

Still, LibreOffice Calc is pretty bad compared to Excel. Microsoft Excel is much more ergonomic, more usable and tons easier to understand & handle.

Need more examples?

https://www.adobe.com/de/products/photoshop.html

GIMP ain’t that bad, feature wise. Though, Adobe Photoshop is much easier to use for most people.

I don’t know if that is still the case, but a couple of years ago, there were some fringe features, that were missing in GIMP, but were naturally there in Photoshop.

We are talking about intelligent design versus the sum of a large number of random efforts. The latter will always win, because it investigates every possibility.

I just gave you 3 examples within 7 minutes proving that a large number of random efforts produce shit, when compared to the “intelligent design”.
The open source alternatives are not “bad”! But, compared to their proprietary counter-parts, they are utter crap.

Is a joke compared to Google Maps. It’s just a joke. Nothing more to say.

I personally use that service, because I don’t want my data to be collected by Google. Though, usability, UX and feature wise, Google Maps is superior by a million times.

So, to not bloat this thread any further, I want to make something clear, as a final statement in this topic.

I greatly appreciate FOSS, just as other FOSS freaks. However, the difference between FOSS fanatics and myself is that I am much more brutally honest about how good proprietary software de facto is. I do not live in a dream world, using a weird derivative of Debian or something, maybe something without systemd which is just classic, and saying it’s comparable to or better than Windows. That’s just a lie.
The only thing that such a distribution is doing better is privacy, power to the user, freedom, etc. However, that’s not the most important aspect about an operating system for the end-user. The most important aspect is usability, UX, etc. It shall work. That’s the most important thing about it. All else is secondary, tertiary or whatever.

FOSS fanatics should be more honest about their failures and at the same time more honest about how proprietary software often rocks the world, while open source alternatives to those proprietary software pieces are usually a joke.

I greatly appreciate FOSS, but fanatics should get real and admit what is reality.

P.S.:

One example, which hits the nail on its head, in regards to what I am trying to say.

I once tried to put Debian onto a Laptop. Took like 6 hours. Did not work. It simply wouldn’t budge.
I gave up and tried Lubuntu. At least the screen worked! With Debian, no screen was possible.

Then, when I needed to make that damn thing finally work, I switched to Windows. Slow as hell at first boot, but it worked.

Your examples are part of the large number of random efforts

Its the way the universe works. Cosmology and biology are the sum of many small events, most of which in themselves are chaotic.

The way to survive in a world of many Linux or FOSS variants, is to not put all ones faith in one variant. Use several linux distros, dont have favourites, be prepared to chuck any non performers, look for new directions, stay awake dont stagnate, do some ruthless culling when needed. Same applies to all FOSS software, and to the so called expert team efforts.

Who’s gonna pay me for this full-time job? :laughing:

P.P.S.:

You wake up in the morning. You do your morning routine, meanwhile your PC boots up with Linux.
Now, you have 10 minutes left until the online meeting starts, but your Linux is broken, as usual.

What do you do?

Now the brutally honest truth is that you either boot up Windows/macOS or you use your Android (Google) or iPhone (Apple). That is reality.

You are doing what I said… exercising choice. There is no other way to survive. Including nonfree in the range of choices is fine by me, but Nonfree will not win on its own. It borrows a lot from FOSS too.

That is true. But I never said it would win on its own or be better in every possible scenario, ever. I don’t want it to “win” over FOSS, anyway. Obviously, the final solution is to FOSS everything. Though, right now, it’s a far away utopia.

When looking for simple non-professional programs, the venerable IrfanView is definitely easier to use but not dramatically better than the open source Shotwell.

Who pays your current full-time job advertising here? :rofl:

1 Like

There are at least 2 lies in those 2 sentences.

1 Like

I would suggest opensource program Gimp is better than either.
The old open source program Gthumb is not far behind

Yes take a longer term view. If we cumulate all efforts , that is how we win.
The ‘Open’ bit helps a lot with the cumulation