How to configure Remmina to trigger the super key in the remote client and not in the host?

Hello Friends

I use Remmina to do an interaction from the Host to the Remote Client, therefore

Host (Remmina running) ---> Remote Client

The Hosts can be either as Ubuntu, Peppermint or Fedora and the Remote Clients are Ubuntu. All the machines are within the same LAN.

Remmina works as expected, but exists a situation. When in the Host is pressed any of the following shortcuts:

• super
  • super + a

They are always triggered in the Host and not in the Remote Client.

Question

• How to configure Remmina to trigger the super key in the remote client and not in the host?

I asked Copilot your exact question and it gave a long reply. I included just the step that maps the super key.

How to configure Remmina to trigger the super key in the remote client and not in the host?

• Under Basic settings, you’ll find Keyboard mapping. Choose Map Meta Keys.

I later looked on my Pop!_OS laptop running Remmina (flatpak) and it doesn’t seem to have that exact option.

4 Likes

Thanks @pdecker for reply and by your support

The mentioned Map Meta Keys option appears for Remmina available on

• Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 - Remmina 1.4.25 (git n/a)
  • Fedora Workstation 39 - Remmina 1.4.33 (git n/a)

But does not appear for Peppermint 11.6 bullseye (based on Debian - for 32 bits). I am assuming its Remmina is old

Anyway, let me test it tomorrow in the morning and I am going to share the results to this friendly community. If it works I am going to request friendly an upgrade to Peppermint too :slight_smile:

Thanks for your understanding

2 Likes

Hello

I tried the suggested setting with Ubuntu and does not work (perhaps because it is running through VirtualBox?). In Fedora (running through VirtualBox too) it crashes, I am going to report this to Fedora Forums to know how to get the logs and share to them for a guidance.

1 Like

That sure could be. Good thought.

Tonight I am going to test it with a direct installation in the Laptop (no VirtualBox involved)

2 Likes

Hello Friends

I confirmed the situation in a direct installation of Linux in a Laptop (not VirtualBox involved) and sadly Remmina does not work the suggested approach :frowning: . I am wondered why this feature is not available

That seems to be the case. I can’t find that option in my installation of Remmina. I think I’m using a snap for that.

It sure would be useful. Maybe there is a config file where the option is still there but not a spot in the user interface to set it for some reason.