How to create a windows 10 bootable usb flash drive in Linux PC

I have tried so many methods to create a windows 10 bootable flash drive on my Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 without success.
I have tried it with Disks, Gparted, Etcher, Startup Disk Creator.
The only reason for it I am selling an old pc with windows 10, I hate Windows OS it sucks!!!
Please HELP
Thank you!

1 Like

What exactly did you try to do? List every single step as detailed as possible.

I have my doubts if Linux will even run the W10 Media Creation Tool, which is needed to create a
bootable W10 flash drive. One might be able to download a W10 ISO and use Linux to burn it to a DVD
and use the DVD to install W10.

You can download and install WoeUSB

1 Like

I have my doubts if Linux will even run the W10 Media Creation Tool, which is needed to create a
bootable W10 flash drive. One might be able to download a W10 ISO and use Linux to burn it to a DVD
and use the DVD to install W10.

I am selling my old computer and the person want windows 10 pro to be installed on the pc

Did you try my above link to install the pkg?

@Adi_Werner

It seems like it is becoming pointless trying to make you help yourself, as you are not providing any of the requested information. If you do not explain, what exactly you have done, so we can conclude why exactly the process did not succeed, then you won’t step a single millimetre forward.

There are tons of tutorials out there, that explain precisely how to create a Windows 10 installer USB stick. They work.
If you can’t explain in what way it does not work for you, there is no point in trying to help you help yourself, since we wouldn’t be able to do that in the described case, anyway.

1 Like

Hello.
First of all, I would recommend that you point out all the advantages of using free software to the person buying your PC… :wink: :innocent:

I’m not sure what went wrong with your attempts to use some GUI tools (as @Akito mentioned, too less information), I would say they should’ve done the job, but anyway…

If that does not work out, you can try a typical “GNU/Linux” method of transfering the ISO to an USB:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/creating-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-stick-on-a-debian-linux/

Don’t forget to change the ISO name to whatever the filename of your Windows ISO is…
Haven’t tried this myself with Windows, it sure functions with GNU/Linux ISOs.

But be careful with dd, for it is a powerful (and therefor destructive) tool.

Greetings
Fast Edi

1 Like

Windows 10 comes in at nearly 5GB in size and you need at least an 8GB USB stick to write it on. Gone are the days of DVD burning, though thinking about it Brasero and other burners shrink the ISO down slightly before writing, but I doubt enough for Windows 10? Also it depends on what version, if it’s the fully bloated version, it could be anywhere between 5 to 9 GB.

1 Like

Not yet I did try the AIOboot and it works fine!

Seems balena-etcher no longer wants to help so used WOEusb, and it worked fine just today. Cheers.

1 Like

Missus asked me if I had a spare laptop for her brother - and I did. But of course it has Linux on it (I was using it 18-24 months ago as a Puppet Server and running a headless install of Ubuntu 18.04 server). And of course, I’m just going to assume he won’t be okay using Linux - so Windows 10 it has to be…

OK - I’ve tried this a bunch of times today - I’ve tried balena etcher… I’ve tried the manual steps, of make a Fat32 USB stick, mount the ISO (loop device) and copy the files from the ISO image to the Fat32 USB stick…
I’ve tried unetbootin (on Mac and Linux)

The closest I’ve come yet is unetbootin on Linux… even that’s problematic - it’s an appimage and has be be launched e.g.:

sudo QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1 /home/x/Downloads/unetbootin-linux64-702.bin

but unetbooting doesn’t spit out any errors - says it finished successfully - except, it can’t copy the 4 GB “install.wim” file - 'cause 4 GB file size is too big for a Fat32 filesystem! Microsoft! Couldn’t you have split that into smaller files???

But seen a few mentions of this WoeUSB doohicky and might give that a try… But why does it have to be so f–king hard? Man dumping a Linux ISO on a thumb stick is a no brainer!

Anyway - I reckon I’m going to try sticking ZorinOS Pro on there and get her to test drive it and see if her brother would use it - 'cause I’m putting f–king Windows 10 into the WAY TOO F–KING HARD BASKET!

FUDGEBAR!

Anyone know if it’s possible to run Win11 without a TPM2 module? The laptop is a Dell Latitude E7440 - older gen i7, 16 GB DDR3, 256 GB m2 SATA SSD and some generation of Intel GPU…

1 Like

Getting a bootable win10 usb is a very touchy exercise.
See the topic

My response 58/64 has the method that works. I can recall it took me ages to arrive at that recipe.
The FOSS article needs revamping.
You have correctly worked out that the win10 file is too big for a fat filesystem
You have to use ntfs on the usb drive, and you have to add a bootloader, because the win10 iso file is not a hybrid iso file, ie it will boot if copied to a dvd, but will not boot if copied to a usb drive.
It is nothing short of an absolute mess

Man dumping a Linux ISO on a thumb stick is a no brainer!

Because Linux iso’s are mostly hybrid iso’s… they contain a bootloader… and because they use ext filesystem

The FOSS article is completely deprecated since Microsoft made insall.wim file over 4 GB in size…

WoeUSB (as a python pip app) is broken :

The first time it happened I thought it was 'cause I was opening an ISO file on my NAS as effectively “root”… So I copy that ISO image to /var/tmp/ on my system - try again… SAME ERROR!

So I exit - try again - SAME ERROR!

So I try again - making sure /dev/sdd is not mounted…

and :
Screenshot from 2023-03-23 20-45-07

Yep yep yep yep :
Happy Days Al Yep Yes GIF - Happy Days Al Yep Yes Agree - Discover & Share GIFs
Defo yet another nail in the coffin of Windows… I reckon he’s getting Zorin 16 Pro…

Thing is I have NO WINDOWS machines to even try any common Windows workarounds - and the idea of passing through low level USB / storage read write to a Windows VM is itself nightmarish…

I think I may try ventoy… But I’m definitely leaning towards Zorin on this thing… I can even make it look and feel like Windows… But I might try MacOS first…

Yeah, you might even make a convert

If you have to have Win, just do it at the command line. My method is tested… I made that Win10 usb in my Linux machine.

1 Like

@daniel.m.tripp
You will need to borrow a W10 or W11 PC to download the ISO, downloading with Linux does not work. Drop the ISO on a Ventoy USB, at least 16GB, and boot from the Ventoy drive.

W11 can be hacked onto a W10 ISO and install W11 but if the machine is not supported, all you
will get are important updates, no featurw updates. The word I get is MS is fixing to crak down
on PC’s running W11 on unsupported hardware.

1 Like

How do you get the response number when viewing a topic? Don’t tell me you actually count them?

I think I’m going to have to nut this out - I like the idea of getting another Linux Desktop user out there - but - my bruv-in-law lives about 350 km south of Perth - so if things go wrong with Linux - it’s a bit of a stretch for either of us to sort out…

So I reckon it’s probably going to have to be Windows 10.

I’m going to try this Youtube tutorial from @abhishek :

Thanks Abishek!

I didn’t realise you could use NTFS - that will solve the problem of install.wim being too big for a FAT32 filesystem…

A shame - because Zorin looks really user friendly, and somone who’s not that computer literate and didn’t have lots of Windows computer use, might be able to work their way around it…

Its on the right hand side beside the text.
You might have to suppress the side menu to see it.
I would not enjoy counting down to 58/64 in that topic.

Dont forget you also need to put a bootloader on the usb drive.