How to install WSJT-X

I need help to install wsjt x on my laptop. My first time using Ubuntu was yesterday.
Anyone that can point me to a tutorial would be great.
If it matters I have a Dell Latitude e 4300.
Thanks in advance.

One way is to use the terminal to get access to the command line and use the command:

sudo apt-get install wsjt
or
sudo apt-get install wsjt*

and answer any questions…

Don’t know what it used for, but found this on the web.
https://www.scivision.dev/wsjt-x-on-ubuntu/

I will look at that after Supper. It is used for Amateur Radio. I use my radio and computer to send Text like messages around the world.
Thanks for the reply.

3 Likes

U
using terminal I get this
user@user-Latitude-E4300:~$ sudo apt-get install wsjt
[sudo] password for user:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘sudo dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.
user@user-Latitude-E4300:~$ sudo apt-get install wsjt*
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘sudo dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

ran this in terminal sudo dpkg --configure -a’ It went through a bunch of stuff. I think it installed. Just need to find out where.
Thanks again.

1 Like

YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY THE apt-get COMMAND AGAIN AND IT SHOULD TELL YOU IF IT IS ALREADY INSTALLED.

Another command line command called find can search your hard drive for a fie named wsjt

here ares the commands line by line
cd /
sudo find -depth -name wsjt

or

cd /
sudo find -depth -name wsjt*

1 Like

No luck giving up for the night. Been up since 3:30 A.M.

1 Like

which wsjt should help locate the executable associated with wsjt: linux which command

1 Like

Hello w0srb,
You can install it via the repositories as mentioned above. It should install and run fine. I like to install synaptic in my ubuntu installs sudo apt update && sudo apt install synaptic That way it is easier to search for programs and packages. Good luck as you learn ubuntu. It’s a great OS and will work well with amateur radio. 73’s Dave

2 Likes

Still confused, repositories ?. I know it did not install.
I have downloaded the file. I get this
user@user-Latitude-E4300:~$ sudo dpkg -i wsjtx_2.1.0-rc5_amd64.deb
dpkg: error: cannot access archive ‘wsjtx_2.1.0-rc5_amd64.deb’: No such file or directory

1 Like

you need to make sure the downloaded file is in the same directory that you are in. from your prompt, i believe you are in your home directory. most downloads get put in the Downloads directory which would mean your command should be sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/wsjtx_2.1.0-rc5_amd64.deb or something like that depending on where you put your downloads.

2 Likes

In order to install from a downloaded .deb file you have to be in the same folder as the downloaded file.
you can do the same thing with software installer by just right clicking on the file and select open with software install (or something close to that) But there is no need to download the file it’s in the ubuntu software repositories simply do this in a terminal sudo apt install wsjtx it will install version 2.0 If you need version 2.1 then install the one you downloaded via the method I outlined above. Good Luck.

2 Likes

Thanks guys it worked. I might just figure this stuff out.

3 Likes

that’s great to hear :slight_smile: now that everything is all sorted, do you mind if i switch the title to something a bit more descriptive like “how to install WSJT-X” in case someone has the same question in the future and goes looking by title?

2 Likes

What ever helps the community. Please do

3 Likes

i appreciate your help. i ask one last thing and then leave you to explore ubuntu and your radio program. can you please mark which post was the solution for you? that adds the solution to the original post so someone following along doesn’t have to read them all to figure out which one works :slight_smile:

below each post there is a symbol with three dots (like so …) to the left of the reply arrow. after you click that, there will be a symbol of a box with a check mark in it. clicking on that will signify that post as the solution.

2 Likes

Also if you would like further study on using ubuntu here is a good link.

3 Likes