How to modify GRUB to allow boot from USB (Solved)

I’m wanted to try TAILS on a USB and I think that I have an ISO image on a USB. My system won’t boot off of the USB drive. My current Grub configuration looks like this:
Screenshot%20from%202019-10-17%2012%3A59%3A25

The USB looks like this. I’m not sure it’s ISO as the original download came out as a .IMG file. (?)

I don’t know how to configure a new entry for optional USB booting.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Jim
Linux Mint 19.2

You are approaching the problem from the wrong direction. You can boot off a different medium, while entirely bypassing GRUB2.

All you have to do is select the thumbdrive as the #1 option to boot from in your UEFI. The way to do this depends on your specific UEFI.

2 Likes

Thanks Akito!
Going the wrong direction sounds exactly like me! :slight_smile:
I don’t know anything about UEFI but I do not have an “EFI” folder under /sys/firmware/efi. Running sudo efibootmgr yields: EFI variables are not supported on this system.
Jim

1 Like

Thanks again Akito!
Your post was enough for me to figure out that an F12 on my particular PC brought up a boot order screen and allowed me to select the USB drive.
Jim

I have two desktops, one Windows 10 (cheap fill-in for an Xbox) and a homebrewed hot rod bearing two Linux distros, where all my important stuff is done. The homebrew asks for an F8 press at boot up to choose the boot device and the game machine needs an F12. Motherboards are all different and require a different key for choosing the boot device. Just keep trying until one works–I’ve seen Escape, F2, and F5, so don’t give up!

1 Like

Thanks wgberninghausen! Got it figured out!

1 Like

i’d be interested in hearing what you think of tails if you have the time or inclination to share some thoughts after you have taken it for a spin :slight_smile: