How to rebuild GRUB mint 18 for dual boot

First windows 10-- explains alot… I had dual boot to Mint 18 and 10… Windows update crashed my partition. Rebuild the windows boot. lost mint boot, partitions are still there. Cannot rebuild the GRUB. always errors. any help??? been trying off live but the downloads do not work… I am really new to linux ( 1year) thanks.

1 Like

I don’t know which of the 18 series of Mint you are using as that is not clear. My advice to you would be to go straight to either 19 or 19.1 as installing either of these will solve the problem for you the easy way as you are new to it. You can install both along side Windows, just let Mint do the work for you otherwise you could get lost. If you are unsure this will help and is always hand to keep. https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php You just need to chose your language that you want to have it in.

1 Like

Please elucidate me.

I see no reference to what partition tables i.e GPT or MSDOS were used, what format applied, i.e NTFS and ext4, and what order they were installed.

It is considered best practise to install windoze, first, it solves a lot of problems before they begin.

I could give give you an example, but there is no reference to what sought of computer you have.

Please in future mention Make, Model, CPU i.e AMD or Intel, GPU Nvidia card, DDR2,3 or 4 ram. Is it UEFI capable.?

:wink:

Hi THHM,
New user here also. I’m using Mint 18.3. When I installed Mint, the Dual Boot screen did not come up but instead booted Mint. I had no option for Window 10. I restored my Window’s partition and then the PC booted Windows only. I tried both Mint install options 1) Install along side of Windows and 2) Something else. Still no boot option. I found a solution that guided me to add windows to GRUB. The web site I found it at is https://askubuntu.com/questions/661947/add-windows-10-to-grub-os-list. Good Luck.

1 Like

Ready to pull hair out!
Dual boot system. Win 10 & Mint 19.1
Windows decided to update itself and failed. Fail to back-out update. Win 10 won’t boot.
Mint 19 fine!
So I restored Win 10 which also restores /dev/sd1. I thought this would be fine since I had backup Win 10 after install of Mint 19. At least I believe so.
Now, I get gurb recovery!
What I tried.
I booted the Live Mint and try to install boot repair, but it fail on install b/c it did not have a place to install it to.
I try chroot to my ‘/’ partition and running sudo update-grub. Error - cannot find device for / (is /dev mounted?)
What next?
I got a desktop that will not boot anything except grub recover.
I’m sure Mint 19 is still there. I have a live Mint USB. I backup /dev/sd1 with Conezella, but have not try to restore it yet.
–Update–
I try the restore of /dev/sda1 and it didn’t work.
I still get ‘/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod’ not found
‘grub rescue>’

what about creating a live usb of just boot repair?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. I found this procedure one other time when I had problems. And it works!

Linux Live USB Mint
sudo lsbkl
sudo fdisk -l
Note which sda root is on smaple sda6
Sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo chroot /mnt
whoami — should be root
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
clear
– now restart pc –

Now I was able to boot Linux. I then ran my grub which also had my Windows pointer in it.
Bongo! I had my system back.

1 Like