I distrohopped last night

So I distrohopped to Ubuntu 22.04 on this machine last night because I was having trouble with some of the applications I use a lot not liking my Yamaha mixer. Apparently ubuntu is the only distro that lets everything play nice constantly… so … I decided to come back down to the land of the living. lol

I’m going to miss the AUR and all, but I’m tired of fighting with my peripherals all the time.

4 Likes

Not a bad choice, I have Ubuntu 22.04 running on one of my machines. Runs well so far!!!

I’ve moved back to Linux Mint Xfce. Got myself a new digital mixer a Mackie DLZ Creator. To run it via USB you need Windows, but it has balance inputs, so have it going through my Focusrite, which is then connected by USB to my Linux. All the software for voice, instruments etc, is already baked into the mixer. I only thought of doing this, today, as relying solely on a USB stick to record my voice, will inevitably lead to USB stick failure over time.

As much as I like Arch there is always something that breaks, whether it be software or hardware related. I prefer a light OS and have tried them all, apart from Q4OS, which is light at 1.1GB download. For the moment though staying with Linux Mint, as everything I chuck at it, it says yes I can do that.

3 Likes

Void is like Arch but doesnt break. It is light… only installs minimal system, then you add
what you want. It has a learning curve, but if you have used Arch it will not phase you.
It avoids systemd, which is the source of a lot of breakages.

1 Like

On the topic of distrohopping…I’m using Debian 12 for the first time as well as MX-23. Both are smooth, polished, and give me no trouble with peripherals or anything else. Almost gives me the courage to take another tumble with Void, but don’t see what it will gain at this time. It seems silly to change from well-behaved horses to unknown mustangs.

Cheers.

2 Likes

I distro hope between Linux mint 32 cinnamon and 64 bit mate… Don’t think that counts…

The problem I’m having has less to do with Linux and more to do with a.) there’s no versions of teamtalk for Arch, so I have to use the ubuntu version, and b.) my yamaha mg10xu has proprietary drivers for windows and I think mac, but no linux … So the only way I’ve gotten it all to behave is with ubuntu, and that’s with a bunch of fiddling with pulseaudio to make everything stay put. I’m in the market for a RodeCaster Pro 2 mixer soonish, which is linux based and doesn’t need proprietary drivers, so hopefully I’ll have an easier time with that.

1 Like

My experience is similar. Any flavor of Ubuntu seems to work with just about anything.

3 Likes

yeah, but on the other hand, you get newer packages with Arch, which is why I like it… Can’t have your cake and eat it too, I guess. lol

In theory, if Arch has newer packages and newer kernel, it should have newer and therefore maybe better drivers. Therefore it should work better than Ubuntu.
What are they doing to make it work worse?
Is their packaging inferior?

1 Like

I doubt it, more than likely AUR is the culprit.

That’s right, the users run the Arch repo. Forgot that.

I wonder if Gentoo would be better? At least they manage their repo themselves.
It would certainly be uptodate.

I reckon it’s something to do with Canonical having access to a whole bunch of “Linux on the Desktop” users - a “captive” market - it’s been tried on more hardware than any other mainstream distro…

It’s why I use Ubuntu (or upstream consumers of this tiny market “saturation” like Pop!_OS) - everything just “works” and I can’t be arsed arsing about for hours to make shit work (still less hours than I’d spend installing drivers to make Windows “work” - I’ll never forget [or get back] the time I spent trying to set a Surface Pro 3 back to Windows 10 defaults - you’d a thunk Microsoft would make this easy - but it wasn’t!).

Sure canonical’s “captive” market it small - but amongst Linux on the Desktop solutions - it’s easily te biggest player…

That sounds very likely to me.
The feedback from captive market would really help to improve Ubuntu… like in getting apps to work better together.

So its a matter of Ubuntu being really improved, rather than Arch being particularly bad. That makes sense.

It probably has something to do with the fact that bearware.dk doesn’t make a version of teamtalk for Arch, which is where I’m having problems.

It’s not really Linux’s fault … Arch or otherwise … it’s developers not supporting Linux … etc

OK, developers not Linux, but do they really need to make a version for every distro?
They arent all that different, just different package systems.
I guess that is what snap,etc are trying to address

And that is the age-old-story of Linux, lack of hardware support!!!

I actually changed to Linux because it had better hardware support than BSD.

But yeah, that is a big issue, and a very difficult one to fix.

I’m not sure what all is involved in porting software to different distros. I know it takes some effort though, as at one point bearware ended support for CentOS 7 I think it was, back a few years ago. Enough people made noise that he put it back, but it was only after everyone pretty much raged at him. lol

And I mean, Teamtalk kinda works with Arch, but the other problem is yamaha’s lack of driver support for any flavor of Linux whatsoever. This is why we haven’t seen the year of the linux desktop yet. It’s no fun having to put pactl commands in your list of startup applications just so your audio devices stay put (again, I blame the mixer for that as nothing else has that issue) …

And yes, I know, Arch and Linux in general is for people that enjoy tinkering, and I do enjoy my tinkering, but there’s a base level of things that just need to work, and then after that I’m willing to tinker for the rest of it. lol

2 Likes

so much so that I’m considering making payments on a 700 dollar Rodecaster Pro 2 which doesn’t have any type of proprietary drivers. lol