I just read this item

I get the Code Project daily newsletter. In today’s (10/27/2023) edition, i found this item:

It discusses the current Open Source Landscape, and offers a few projections, issues, and comments. In spite of the title, I found the article offers an optimistic and realistic point of view.

What do you think?

Ernie

2 Likes

I think size of the open source space is less important than
the quality of the contributors.
It is true that open source is characterised by having lots of contributors, but a very large part of the success can be
attributed to a few outstanding individuals.
I dont want to undervalue anyone’s contribution. It is just that we really innovators like Richard Stallman.

1 Like

I read that too. Maybe we have a similar morning routine. :grin:

Could be. I usually check my email several times a day in between working on any projects that pique my interest, and playing a few of the games I like, namely Solitaire, Mahjong, Jigsaw puzzles, and a couple of 3-D merge games. I’m a retired widower in my mid seventies, so I try to keep myself occupied so I don’t turn into an old bored geezer :slight_smile:.

Regarding the article that prompted this post, the main takeaway I got is that when companies hire developers who contribute to open source projects, they should give those developers enough on-the-clock time to be able to properly support the open source projects they develop/contribute for/to.

Ernie

1 Like

In an ideal world that would happen. Reality steps in a lot so it doesn’t happen as often as we’d like.

Maybe those who are retired could be semi-retired and contribute. :slight_smile:

I think that sounds like a good retirement, at this point. I’m not quite there yet, but I am guessing there will be times I’m looking for something to do and like you said, it’s something that should help me stay sharp (or get sharper?).

You said you play some games. Try this one, I think it’s fun.

https://www.bing.com/spotlight/imagepuzzle

I agree. I didn’t say it would happen, I said it should :slight_smile:

Thank you for that link. I’m not usually a fan of that type of puzzle, but I’ll give it a try anyway :slight_smile:

Ernie

1 Like

The blocks just all lined up for me one day and I only needed 14 clicks. A record for me.