I’m unable to login back to Windows 8.1 Wi-Fi disabled

Hi y’all so i’ve curiously installed Ubuntu in my USB drive and i’m unable now to use Windows, my internet works on Ubuntu but not when i boot into original Windows 8.1. How could i switch from Ubuntu to Windows with my files i also seem to strangely shifted something in the partition tables and my free space is less than 10MB which i still have 400+GB free space still.

I haven’t installed Ubuntu yet it’s only on my USB

PLEASE HELP

is there any guided video with steps to solve my problem.?

i am trying to get an understanding of what help you are asking for: you say you can’t use windows, but the internet doesn’t work when you boot into windows 8.1.

to clarify: can you boot into windows at all?

2 Likes
  1. Read this:
    FAQ - Read before you post a request for help

2. Remove your USB stick and then boot again.

2 Likes

Hi cordx and Akito, i attempted to follow step by step this youtube video and at minute 1:41 there’s this part you need to open Disk Management and do Shrink Volume, i tried doing so to my Disk (C:) and it was saying i only had like 121MB available for shrinking for Ubuntu, later tried restarting my Windows 8.1 PC and i started getting this problem where even with Bootable USB with Ubuntu plugged or not when i try to login to my account my of Windows i type correct password and does nothing cause internet appears to show a red x mark like if it’s disabled. Sorry for typos i’m Spanish btw

Video i tried following

(https://youtu.be/kUybSs9vN70)

My Windows files still appear at Ubuntu but don’t know how to switch system back to Windows 8.1

1 Like

since you didn’t install ubuntu and this happens without the usb inserted into your computer, this is entirely between you and windows.

i teach a computer class and watched a woman enter the “correct” password over a dozen times last week all the while complaining that the computer just wouldn’t recognize its inherent correctness. eventually she found where she had written it down and she was indeed entering it incorrectly. have you tried caps lock? have you tried pin, password and/or fingerprint reader (if you have one. i.e. multiple options)?

the same class uses a wifi signal that isn’t always up and running so i am fairly certain windows (this is with 10, not 8.1) doesn’t need a working internet connection in order to log in.

2 Likes

I can speak only on Windows 10 context. If you use an Outlook account, this could be a problem. See if you can create a new " local " user for safe use. That is what I do and it works.

1 Like

@Christian_Christian,
After viewing the picture, I think you shrunk your windows partition from the beginning and not from the end. If you did this you shifted windows partition. Take a look to the picture:

I think this is why you have a 477406MB capacity and used “unknown” as /dev/sda4 and you shifted your windows partition for a new partition, created with the split of the first in two, called /dev/sda5 and it’s almost full. If you did so, because the picture is from one step during Linux installation, now your windows installation is in other partition and when you trying to login, the boot has a table which indicates your windows is in /dev/sda4 but now is empty so you cannot access to windows because now windows is in /dev/sda5
If what I think is correct you just need to change boot table where is the windows installation

Could you confirm if you shrunk sda4 partition from at the beginning of the partition?

2 Likes

Aloha, Tech_JA, yes i have mistakenly done that. I went ahead and installed Ubuntu, now can’t boot into Windows 8.1 anymore is there any way to uninstall Ubuntu and return to Windows operating system.?

Do i need to buy a Windows 8.1 installation CD to repair my PC.?

Try Windows 10 ISO. You can try startup repair through it. It is available for free to download from Microsoft website. Once you do that and get the Windows bootloader up and running, you can use tools like EasyBCD to bring back Ubuntu.

I think if you have Windows 8.1 DVD, that too will have some option for startup repair.

There are many Linux ways of fixing this. But I believe they will be tougher than Windows DVD startup repair.

3 Likes

@Christian_Christian,
please read what @meetdilip wrote: I think its s very good advice to repair your WIN8.1 boot

Please be aware that you may lose all your personal data files

If you would like to try repairing from other way, try the following steps:
1 - At your windows login, press power off icon and choose restart while keep pressing SHIFT key
2 - After restart (you maybe to choose to start windows in grub) you’ve entered Windows Rescue Mode
3 - Choose Troubleshooter
4 - Choose Advanced Options and Command Prompt
5 - Type diskpart and press enter
6 - Type list disk and press enter
7 - I think you will only get one disk listed and is Disk 0. If not, take a photo and post here
8 - If you only have Disk 0, type select disk 0 and press enter
9 - Type list volume and press enter. Take a photo and post here
10 - Type list partition and press enter. Take a photo and post here
11 - Type exit and press enter
12 - Close the command prompt window
13 - Power off the computer

I’ll give you further instructions after seeing the photos

This is the result of my diskpart:

1 Like

@Tech_JA hey :slight_smile: i’ve done the commands and took pictures, also every time i select Windows Boot Manager my PC says
attempting to repair windows, diagnosing and says automatic repair couldn’t repair your PC and for Notebook Hardrive says no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key.

@meetdilip I’m going to download Win10 ISO into a USB, could you provide me steps how to do this or any video i could watch.

Thank you bros

Log file: \System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

1 Like

Now, try the following steps:
1 - At your windows login, press power off icon and choose restart while keep pressing SHIFT key
2 - After restart (you maybe to choose to start windows in grub) you’ve entered Windows Rescue Mode
5 - Type diskpart and press enter
6 - Type select disk 0 and press enter
7 - Type select partition 5 and press enter
8 - Type active and press enter
9 - Type list volume and press enter. Take a photo again and post here
10 - Type list partition and press enter. Take a photo again and post here
11 - Type exit and press enter
12 - Close the command prompt window
13 - Power off the computer

Now, try to run WiN 8.1

1 Like

@Tech_JA not working yet after shutting down. This is what CMD is showing the selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk.

1 Like

Sorry, you’re right
I didn’t realize this command it’s only for legacy BIOS
I’ll boot again my WIN10 to get more info…

Try the following steps:
5 - Type bcdedit and press enter. Take a photo and post here
6 - Close the command prompt window
7 - Power off the computer

I’ll give you further instructions after seeing the photo

1 Like

@Tech_JA

1 Like

I need more photos please:

• enter again in the command prompt
  • Type diskpart and press enter