If you are new to Linux

In this forum, I see a lot of questions regarding post-install boot problems and I realized that, despite having used Linux for more than 20 years now, I am not really able to provide any useful advice the reason being that I never encountered such problems. I guess that might be because I always followed a few simple rules:

1st: I always had a bootable recovery medium at hand in order to restore the Master Boot Record. I did not always make a proper backup, but you should! (Do as I say, not as I do! :wink:)
2nd: I always chose a major Linux Distribution with a large community and a stable Long Term Support version, at least since these existed.
3rd: I always followed the provided instructions carefully step by step.
4th: I always made sure, I understood what every step meant. That is: Whenever I reached a step, I did not understand, I aborted the installation and read everything about it before continuing.

I truly believe that these rules avoid 90% or more of all installation problems. If you are really new to Unix style operating systems, I would also recommend installing it on a virtual machine first and to familiarize yourself with the way it works. @abhishek wrote a dummy safe guide about how to do it.

cum grano salis

6 Likes

Hi Mina,
I too have used Linux for years and the only boot gripe I ever had was when, we all had to install via CD’s as back then USB sticks were expensive. Now you can get them really cheaply. I concur with everything you say, but mostly I think it is hardware issues and partitioning mistakes that are the biggest causes of boot failure, especially picking the right partition that Grub has to be installed to. G-Parted is a brilliant tool, but can be confusing for new users. Patience is also key to success. Knowing your hardware too helps is it Legacy only or both Legacy and EFI.

2 Likes

Hi Mina,
Well, I completely agree with item 1 and 2 in your post. I worked in IT for 30 years and item #1 was the “Golden Rule” of data processing.
Always have a backup of your system and a way to restore it. And for a business be sure to have more then one backup.
Now items 3 and 4 are good rules, but I suppose I was a little careless when I first started Linux 2 years ago. Knowing I had a solid backup of Windows that included the Boot records and a solid way to restore my Windows partition, I would / could experiment with the installation of Linux. I must have install Linux 6 or more times. Did I wipe out Windows a couple times? Yes. Did I learn a lot ? Yes.

And before I switched over to Linux as my operating system I may sure I follow the Golden Rule. I made sure I could use a stand-a-lone program to backup and restore not only root but also the Boot partition.

1 Like

Thanks for the good advices.

I work a lot with live Linux pen-drives. Whenever I want to try a PC or check if the Hardware is working, I boot from a Live Linux pen-drive. When I want to test a new distro - guess what - I use a Live Linux pen-drive…
And I have several ISOs to do different tests.
Backups… None! I have a /home partition where I have everything I need with replication on the cloud.
Mistakes?.. A lot.
When I was taking my first steps in the Linux world I tried to install it into a USB drive with a lot of very important information in it… Boom!
It took me 2 days to recover (about) 99% of that information.
What I’ve learned? Always be sure of what you’re doing.

3 Likes