INKSCAPE Installed isn't opening

That would be really bad, not to mention the design and philosophy implications of that. This attitude can halt all innovation and significant improvements. The main problem with Python is, that it has fundamental design problems and the whole Python 2 and Python 3 situation makes that a whole lot worse.
But going back to an ancient version is not a solution. This would make things worse. Additionally, problems with Python 2 would start popping up more, if people would add features to that and change things.

So, no, winding back is not the solution. In fact, it would make everything much worse.

OK… accept that.
It might be a temporary fix for specific cases, like Inkscape

Yes, a temporary workaround. But nothing one should take as a serious “fix”.

1 Like

Nearly everything about Fedora 35, and 36, and Ubuntu 22.04 sucks balls…

SERIOUSLY considering going back to Ubuntu 20.04… Inkscape 0.9x… A whole bunch of other things are better in Ubuntu 20.04 than 22.04 or Fedora 33, 34, 35 and 36…

Inkscape 1.x sucks balls… simple workflow… Inkscape 0.9 ? You open up the Text and Font dialog doohicky? It saves it’s position on the right hand side bar… Same for Object properties… Export PNG… Fill and Stroke… Next time you fire up Inkscape - they’re all there where you left them… Even days, or weeks later, Inkscape remembers… NOT F-CKING Inkscape 1.x…

Inkscape 1.1? They F-CKING disappear every time! And when you try and open them, they take up HALF your f–king screen! And when you try to resize them - it’s either INVISIBLE - or HALF YOUR F–KING SCREEN again - they snap!

Don’t they actually have “usability” people who run it through its paces, in their teams?

I’m thinking about logging onto their forums and complaining about how much InkScape 1.x SUCKS compared to nearly ANY 0.x version I’ve used… I used Inkscape Version 0.x a fair bit in 2015, 16, and never had issues like this… Been using 0.92 on Ubuntu 20.04, for two years now, never had any major issues… 1.1 sucks, I think Fedora 36 sucks, I think Ubuntu 22.04 sucks, so I might be heading back to 20.04 …

I need a compelling reason not to wind back my OS version clock…

1 Like

But don’t be too frank about it or they’ll just distract away from the issues, by saying you are wording things too aggressively… :laughing:

I often see people (not only software maintainers) distract away from issues by pointing at formalities and unimportant aspects of criticism… :roll_eyes:

Okay, but what’s the point? Short term, it might be enough, but this is in the end just a temporary fix. A real fix would be to change the way new versions of software are released and what hoops they get through, to get approved, etc.
Of course, that’s hard to achieve with huge software projects, like Ubuntu and other operating systems.

The most compelling one is usually a new feature you waited for, since long ago. Maybe Ubuntu 22.04 has something great? :grin:

Just took a quick wander around InkScape 1.2 via AppImage… I kinda HATE the whole idea of AppImage and FlatPak and SNAP…

All three “solutions” feel like copouts… half arsed fixes… but I can understand it, when you’ve got umpteen gazillion distros an releases with even more libraries and package formats and desktop environments… I guess if we wanna keep using Desktop Linux - WE HAVE TO ACCEPT Snap, FlatPak and AppImage (I’m sure there’s more) and let natural selection (and the “market”) determine which of these competing solutions prosper, and which are consigned to extinction…

But InkScape 1.2 via AppImage might stop me winding back the clock…

Killer feature? MULTIPLE PAGE DOCUMENTS!

Damn - that was the main thing I missed from CorelDraw - and we got it in Inkscape! FINALLY!

And in 1.2 - the HIDEOUS snapping / resize of the right sidebar “docks” is GONE (I can resize them from the vertical resize handle to whatever ever f–king width I want, not what the developer deemed was acceptable…

So - I’ll be sitting on InkScape 1.2 via AppImage for a while, but all the same, I’d rather a DEB or RPM file…

What I kinda like about Snap, and even FlatPak, is installing them, takes care of installing launchers…

AppImage? No… you have to do that yourself… Now, I know how to do this - but - all the same - I’d rather the distro or whatever did ALL THE HEAVY lifting for me, 'cause I’m inherently lazy…

There’s some app installable as an RPM (and DEB too I think) that can take care of some of the management of AppImage files : AppImageLauncher, but it’s not like how Ubuntu will automatically provide some SNAP of some application, and do ALL the work creating launchers, and have it available to search for in the HUD… Anyway - I plonked the AppImage file for Inkscape 1.2 in ~/Applications, and AppImageLauncher eventually found it - and now I can launch it from “Applications” in Gnome 41 on Fedora 35…

Note - that AppImage launcher thingie creates a menu / applications item - but - it WON’T let you add it to favourites when it’s running… if you add it to favourites (for the dash, or dock) “before” it’s running, you get a different icon, and a separate icon, from a running instance (i.e. when you’re running InkScape - there’s TWO InkScape icons in your Dash or Dock)…
I was going to try out Plank again - as I’d been using that for years - but - that was one of two things stopping me from running Wayland… I’ve eliminated plank as a Wayland showstopper, and that only leaves f–king SYNERGY!

Here is a prediction that you may not like or agree with

1. Large distros like the Debian and Redhat families will fail to manage the increasing number and complexity of packages and will resort to one of snap or flatpak
  2. Smaller independent distros like Void and Solus will cope by being more selective in which packages they maintain. They will become speciality Linuxes
  3. Bleeding edge rolling release distros like Arch and Gentoo will do what they have always done … pass the problem of package compatabilities onto the user. Gentoo might even thrive because its Portage system is superior
  4. The BSD distros FreeBSD, NetBSD,… will replace Linux distros for Desktop users because they have a better managment model which is capable of putting together a distro that works.

Anyone have a different vision?

I mostly agree with your points 1 and 2…

But definitely NOT point 3… I can’t see ANY of the BSD’s becoming a NIX on the desktop solution, over ANY Linux distro, in my lifetime… I mean there’s barely any right now…

It annoys me that Points 1 and 2 are so valid, e.g. I personally haven’t had a HUUUUUGE amount of dramas with libraries and dependancies on Ubuntu, especially 18.04, but stuff started creeping in in 20.04, then more and more stuff got packaged as SNAPS, now 22.04 is riddled with them…

I was quite happy with Ubuntu 18.04… it ran everything I needed, including connectivity to my employer’s VPN, Steam games, native and proton … But I won’t wind the clock back that far :smiley:

2 Likes

Actually, any BSD flavour is extremely difficult to get to work properly. Everything is more specific and restricted, let alone the security implications.

When people have a hard time setting up Ubuntu or Linux Mint, they shouldn’t even touch any BSD with a 1000 mile long pile.

While BSD might do some things more relaible, it would make other important features a lot more difficult.

I also heard a lot of stories from @daniel.m.tripp going like this:

“I tried it on BSD and it just didn’t work. Then I tried it on Ubuntu and it worked almost instantly.”

2 Likes

And also @daniel.m.tripp

… I can’t see ANY of the BSD’s becoming a NIX on the desktop solution, over ANY Linux distro, in my lifetime

OK. I will take up the challenge.
I used FreeBSD from 1990s to about 2013 without the slightest problem., before I switched to Debian.
I will go back and see what the situation is today.

If my points 1 and 2 are true, that makes a big hole.
If BSD can not fill that hole, then what can?
Are we all going to use arch and gentoo?

Its a creeping disease. Bit like covid. Complexity (in software) tends to throttle itself. Bundling to hide the complexity is a poor solution. Its a bit like saying
“I will run every package in its own sandbox so they dont interact”
I dont know what the right solution is.

Damn - I wish Inkscape 1.2 was a DEB not an AppImage…

Because - my life is incomplete without InkScape 1.2!

I LOVE it - such a VAST improvement from 1.1 to 1.2!!! Probably my favourite open source app!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Inkscape 1.2 :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heart: :revolving_hearts: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I will have a look in the Debian repo. It might be there as a package.

Isnt there some utility that will search all repos for a package? You dont have you get it from Ubuntu, you just need the .deb file.

Inkscape in Debian 11 is only 1.0.2-4
Void is 1.1.1-3
Solus is 1.1.2
Sorry, you will be waiting a while

Look up ‘Personal package archive’ on the inkscape site

They say you can get a 1.2 package as a ppa.

I got 1.2 here in Xubuntu 20.04 from PPA. Works flawlessly really good, as you get to choose the resolution size of your project, also the type print, screen, video, social, other. They have all the resolutions for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, but not YouTube for some reason? But then again I think YouTube is the same size as one of the other social proprietary platforms?

1 Like

Those “sayers” are not wrong - 'tis indeed true!

Thanks guys - @nevj and @clatterfordslim - I normally avoid PPA’s as I’ve had all sorts of awful things happen with them… But Inkscape 1.2 is worth the risk…

Installed it a few days ago… Don’t need the hideous appImage now… I wouldn’t mind if AppImages integrated better with launchers - sure I can navigate to the folder, either in file manager or the terminal, and run an executable - but if so - why bother with the f–king GUI in the first place???

Been mostly out for the count with Covid for the last 4 days… I think I’m over the worst… to think 2 years ago this could have come close to killing me, before any vaccines… I’ve had my two AZ’s and a Pfizer booster, will definitly be getting another Pfizer booster sooner, rather than later…

Eldest daughter had it a few weeks ago, which made the whole house have to lockdown in #ISO, but no one else got it… Then my youngest daughter picked it up off her boss middle of last week, and then passed it on to me and the missus… Probably still under the weather for work tomorrow, but hopefully all good for Wednesday…

These few commands got me an Inkscape 1.2 that integrates with my DE’s menuing system (which then integrates perfectly with my choice of dock - i.e. some variant of dash to dock [floating dock I think])…

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:inkscape.dev/stable
sudo apt update
sudo apt install inkscape

Having multiple pages makes it the killer app for me - on open source, and I can run it on closed source too (MacOS or Windows), if I so choose …

1 Like

I must admit
I did not even know what a ppa was.
So thanks for the instructions
Take care with this Covid thing. It can hang around in your system if you take shortcuts. Get some rest and antivirals.

Happy recovery
Neville

I had it too at the end of March, mostly a tight hat round the forehead headache, a cold and cough. It took forever to get rid of, a total of fourteen days off work. I work with the old and vulnerable, so had all three of my vaccinations. Shame they could not just double the dose on the first jab?

I use Inkscape for making camera borders in OBS. A whole barrage of shapes, from circles to stars.

2 Likes