Install Tessa 19.1 backgrounds in earlier Mint Versions

If you use Mint then you will know that you can install earlier Mint backgrounds, but did you know that you can also install Tessa backgrounds?
The easy way to do this is the head here, http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa and from there download the deb. file for them and install them.
I tried this as I was wondering if it was possible to do and it works every time.

Note if you try to install earlier version backgrounds a warning will come up to tell you that they are available in software manager and to use that.

3 Likes

Hey Ellan, there was always an easier way to do this in 18.x. Simply drag and drop this command into your terminal:

sudo apt-get install mint-backgrounds-*

This will install all the official background files from all available releases. However, since I’m still running Mint 18.3 this method will not allow me to install Tara or later backgrounds. If you only want a particular older background package–say for Maya–type:

sudo apt-get install mint-backgrounds-Maya

In any case between this bash line and the available deb. packages Mint uses can easily use the whole palette of Mint backgrounds. Both methods definitely work on both 18.x and 19.x systems. (I recently installed all past backgrounds in Linux Mint 19.1, without a hitch.)

Cheers!

2 Likes

There is that way, Dave and you can also install them through software manager. I put this on here for peeps like you who were in the 18 series still so they can install the later versions without any problems and know they are safe. I had previously installed all the early versions as you suggest . Now peeps have a choice as to how to go about things - so thanks for that :grinning:

2 Likes

One of the things I most enjoy about Linux in general and Mint in particular is this exactly: there are usually multiple ways of doing the same things. Sometimes we forget how great this is! Each of us can find our own level of comfort.

As a counter example try disabling “secure boot” on a Windows 10 machine. You can really appreciate how easy Linux is. (“secure boot” is default on Win 10–it by-passes the bios screen to prevent boot-able external media from “hacking” your machine.)

Anyway, if you haven’t you should try it sometime. It’s as if 48 hours prior to release they realized that there was no way to turn it off, and this–in a mad scramble–is what they came up with. :wink:

2 Likes