Install Ubuntu on another SSD with no bootloader?

I have two different SSD. One SSD has Windows 10.

I would like to install Ubuntu on the another SSD …so …that the bootloader will not install anything on my Windows 10 SSD.

I have done before. I had installed Ubuntu first then unhooked the Linux SSD and then installed Windows 10 SSD.

Is there a way to be Safe and install Ubuntu @ “something else” area? I don’t know the correct way.

Each SSD is one TB.

Any best ideas ?

Yes. Just mount only partitions from the SSD belonging to Ubuntu and you are good to go.

2 Likes

… I know that …but how ? LOL

What do you mean?

2 Likes

I don’t know the right information for Root, Swap and Home setup, before to start the installment.

That is wrong. You did not visit the link I posted.

1 Like

Welcome to ‘It’s Foss’ @BenderClark. Are you looking for recommendation for the size of each of these partitions?
You will get lots of opinions for these. But I will give you mine, but others may not agree.
This is because it is a personal opinion and also on how you use your system. I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0 on a Laptop.
My root partition is 30 GB with 10 GB free.
My swap is … 4 GB. Linux does not swap much.
My home is … 50 GB
TimeShift partition of 60 GB … allows 5 or more TimeShift snap shots of 7 GB each.

My recommendations for you;
root -----> 50 GB - This will allow for at least 3 TimeShifts
swap ----> 4 GB – again Linux does not swap much.
home ----> Big as you want.
Remember, you need a backup / restore procedure for your system (root) and data (home) areas.

1 Like

oh ! sorry … I was on my iPhone LOL

Thanks ! !!!

i would recommend repeating that part of the process. the bootloader can’t go on the wrong drive it it isn’t in your system.

my system also doesn’t swap much, but the size you choose also may depend on whether or not you want your system to hibernate. i have never separated root and home. i just try to make sure i have a relatively recent offline copy of /home in case my disk goes boom.

2 Likes

Thanks ! It Worked ! As you may see in the image, Disk 0 is my Windows 10 SDD and Disk 1 is my Ubuntu SDD.

Man, I was Praying that the installment will NOT touch my Windows 10 SDD ha ha ha

Of course, the installment told me that Ubuntu may not startup without any GRUB … blah…blah…blah

Ubuntu Updates installed GRUB for me so I may choose which SDD that I want to run.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Thanks ! It Worked ! As you may see in the image, Disk 0 is my Windows 10 SDD and Disk 1 is my Ubuntu SDD.

Man, I was Praying that the installment will NOT touch my Windows 10 SDD ha ha ha

Of course, the installment told me that Ubuntu may not startup without any GRUB … blah…blah…blah

Ubuntu Updates installed GRUB for me so I may choose which SDD that I want to run.

Thanks for your help !!!

When you select “Something else” during the installation process, it will only do what you tell it to do. So if you only choose stuff from the correct storage medium, then it won’t touch any other media.

1 Like

unfortunately that isn’t always true for the ubuntu installer:

1 Like

Due to this?

Well, anything can have bugs. So technically yes, it is possible that the installer can still fiddle around, however it is not designed to do that.
So I guess I should change my wording to:

If the installer is working as designed and does not contain bugs related to this feature, then it will not touch anything else, except what you are explicitly specifying, when you chose the “Something else” option.

1 Like

that’s the one and unfortunately the installer in question.

2 Likes

Yeah ~! I was so freaking happy ! ha ha

1 Like